Want to buy

Daniel84

Im looking to get into tractor restoration and I am wanting to know if there are any salvage yards out there that sale whole tractors and not just dismantled? All I can find is single part websites.

I suspect if you find one selling complete tractors the will want very high value for them. Better to watch local craigs list, newspaper want adds, facebook, auctions. the search can be long and hard. It is all part of the fun. Don

Where are you at and what are you looking for?
There maybe a member here with something for sale that might interest you.

As Don said, look at CL, Facebook market, etc.

I have found a few by driving the side & back streets of the smaller towns around. Can see them sitting out back by a building, next to the grage or even next to the trees and brush in the back yard. Lot of time they are the older lawn mower type tractors and not worth the $$ and effort to bring back. Some times a bigger mower repair shop will have several out back but then again they won't sell as they want to sell you a new of good used mower or new parts.
A friend does mower repair and a lot of scrapping but he is swamped right now with trying to get a bunch of flooded campers stripped out to sell the frames.

Craigslist. Look out for the goof balls.

Locally to me cub, john deere, bolens and simplicity stuff is all over craigslist. Usually reasonably priced.

Other brands pop up rarely. Sometimes though it seems I'll click and all I see are Allis tractors or 20 wheel horse.

What size and type of tractor are you interested in? I'm thinking a smaller farm tractor as that's the site you posted in, as others have posted CL FB marketplace or driving around looking for one sitting looking abandoned and as posted a salvage yard is about the last place to look althougth there are some that sell repairables

First off pick a brand you wish to restore. John Deers are like belly buttons and there all over, parts cost a tidy sum.
Farmall international is a middle of the road brand, parts for most models are easy to find and repops can be had.
Oliver and Moline are also middle of the road parts can be found and repop parts can be bought for them.

I found My first Massey at a JD dealer and the second one also at another. Found my 3 in a front yard looking like it was for sale and the sign had blew off. Fellow had ran out of gas with it but sold it.
4 th one was found in a newspaper ad fellow had two and I was late getting there to buy both.
Found a couple setting in fence rows and needed to cut trees to get them out of there and on the trailer.

I found most parts by finding chunks of tractors in fence lines that had parts I needed. I did/have bought a few repop parts too.

:D Al

Yeah Im looking for mid to bigger size tractors would like to stay in 40hp to 99hp range. Nothing really in newer range with advanced electronics. Would rather keep it mechanical as much as possible. I don't want to repair collectors tractors that will just sit around. Id rather restore tractors that are actually going to be used. I don't want to keep it to one specific brand though because I don't want to just restore but do repair work as well. But starting out I need to prove to myself, I guess, that I can do it. I am quick at figuring out things and how they work. Im a nurse now and have been the last 10yrs but I am burnt out. And would rather run my own business. But I work on all my stuff until I can figure it out unless I know I cant do it but that's only because of lack of equipment needed to do repairs.

My first was a dealer bought tractor I saw when looking. Pretty sorry when I found it and took nearly two years to find all the parts I needed to pull with it.

1566997957769.png

top one was setting by the road at a flea market. bottom one was setting in a orchard I drove by on my way to work.
1566998063461.png
Top one is a 1952 Massey Mustang (model 23) plenty of missing parts and the engine was free but no compression. Filled it with diesel and turned the crank every time I walked by it about once a day for a year. then it had compresstion and started. still looking for side panals or I may make a set from the pattern of a 1953 model ibought later for the front loader.

I haven't gotten to the 1956 Massey 333 yet but have most of the parts. People over hauled the engine now collant gets in the oil if you add coolant. I believe they buggered up the o rings on one of the sleaves when they installed them.

There are several salvage yards in the midwest that do sell complete older tractors. There is a big one just on the north side of the interstate from where I live, Colfax tractor parts. They sell parts or complete tractors just about any brand, size, running or non running depending on how much you want to get involved with. They do tend to have a lot of John Deeres but I have seen other brands. Tractorhouse.com is a website to maybe look at and see what size and type you would be interested. I myself have a Case 530 diesel ag tractor on my to restore list, first farm tractor I ever drove so a lot of sentimental value.

Closer to the Western edge of the state is Wall Lake Tractor Parts. They have a little bit of everything. I don't believe either places sell garded aized tractors though.

Nice thing about tractors from the 1950 is the variety of brands. Same with HP even. Also so easy to work on with just SAE tools many can be completely torn down to the last nut and bolt with just a standard SAE socket set, box open end wrench set. Wireing is real simple also.
You could even go into the mid 1960's and have a simple easy to work on tractor. One of my favorites other than a Massey is the Oliver 55 utility.
1567167542796.png

Can be had in gas powered and diesel. Gas model is about 34 HP, is squat so fits in a normal garage. Diesel is nice for fuel per hour usage but when it comes to messing with the pumps it requires skilled workers to fix most.
I would stick with a gas model my self even though I own 2 diesels a 1953 massey 44 Special and a 1957 555 Massey.

Steiner tractor parts.com is a great place to buy parts.

Last edited:
I am also a fan of the Allis chalmbers D series tractors, Mine is a 1961 D 17.
1567168365233.png

Gasoline, propane and Rare diesels in the early models. Non 3 point hitch but not hard to make into a 3 point hitch tractors.

Back