We Bought Another 1967 Craftsman 6hp 855C Yesterday......

1967Craftsman's

Tractorologist
My stepdad bought it this time not me, in the rain in Agawam Massachusetts. He bought it since I already have the electric start that I'm restoring from the member on MyTractorForum although I really wanted it at first, then as a couple days went by I surprisingly didn't really want it anymore. I just really wanted it mostly for the deck and that's it, and wanted my stepdad to have it more. Plus I'm not a big fan of pull or recoil starts. My stepdad actually found it as it came up on his "recommended for you" searches. This is our 4th yellow and white 1967 Craftsman in our collection between my stepdads and I's tractors, so now I got both the 6hp and 10hp versions and so does he. According to the now previous 2nd owner it has not run in 30 years, the motor has 500 hours, and the deck needs a gear. It was an older fella who was selling it on Facebook Marketplace who originally bought it in 1972. He said that in the last week or so he tried to start it but it currently has no spark, and he wanted to fix it but his wife as you may expect basically said you have enough projects and to get rid of it. He also has a Sears SS12 too I just so eyeballed in another part of the garage, but it was not for sale. The tires are like my 6hp that I'm restoring and are all original, and don't look too bad at least to me but my stepdad says he's gonna replace them anyway. It's amazing how complete it is and that the steering wheel is in great of shape as it is. It sucks that the original seat cover won't really be able to be saved though. My stepdad says he plans to get the tires to hold air, get it running, and show it while keeping it as a barn find and survivor for a couple years then restoring it. Hopefully by Zagray this coming week, BUT we're not "betting" or really planning on it. Here are some pictures of it from the ad......

new tractor 1.jpg

new tractor 2.jpg

new tractor 3.jpg

new tractor 4.jpg

Update Update Update, on the tractor.......

So its been awhile since I posted an update on this tractor, so whats been done if anything? Since my stepdad bought it back in about April or May I personally took the gas tank off, cleaned it like I did with my 6hp Craftsman project with rocks and CLR then shaking it and rinsing it out. Otherwise the tank and the tractor have just been sitting, until recently. 2 weeks ago on September 2nd my stepdad started to finally work on it, as I am just the documenter in all of this. 3 weeks to a month ago my stepdad ordered a $10.00 China carburetor off Ebay, then put it on 2 weeks ago along with the gas tank I washed out with a new spare gas line that I had extra of with a new filter that he bought, put in a new spark plug from WallyWorld (or Walmart), and put in a good used spare magneto he had. After doing all this at first the tractor did not want to start after about 10 pulls of the recoil, so I said "lets try some starting fluid" and as soon as I said that we pulled it one more time and it fired right up. So now after 30 years of sitting, it now runs and I would call that a success!!......

bobs 6hp 1.jpg

bobs 6hp 2.jpg

bobs 6hp 3.jpg

bobs 6hp 4.jpg

bobs 6hp 5.jpg

Coming along good Eric.
Wondering though if that had a fuel pump on it originally ? Normally were mounted on the carburetor.
Could explain why it took a bit start ...

We also surprisingly discovered this dangerous split tire too, it holds air and is original with the Sears logo BUT it is definitely getting replaced when we eventually restore the tractor at some point. For now it will temporarily be left on though, and will NOT be driven far on. Also as a side note, I forgot to mention in my above post that my stepdad also replaced the drive belt and bought it from Tractor Supply as the old one was in not so good of shape. It is 1/2X71" in size.......

bobs 6hp 7.jpg

Coming along good Eric.
Wondering though if that had a fuel pump on it originally ? Normally were mounted on the carburetor.
Could explain why it took a bit start ...

Thanks for the compliment Bill, I appreciate it. I'm 95% sure it did not have a fuel pump as I didn't see anything that looked like one on the carburetor. I thought it just needed to be primed or somethin' since it's brand new BUT I'm pretty sure we figured out the problem there though....... the needle needed to be adjusted more to make it run because as soon as my stepdad adjusted it out a bit, it started right up.

LATEST UPDATE, on the tractor......

EXCITING NEWS!! Since the tractor runs now, yesterday we brought it to be displayed at its first ever show at our towns fair along with our other Craftsman's. It sure was different having 3 of the same yellow and white tractors on the back of my trailer, instead of 2 yellow and white tractors and one red tractor (or my stepdads red Murray). So as of right now all 3 of the Craftsman's are at our local fair proudly being displayed, and they will all be picked up on Sunday evening. In the past we only brought the 2 nice 10 horsepower Craftsman's so as soon as we brought the new 6 horsepower there, the fellow who runs the tractor exhibit says "woah you got 3 of em now?!", ha ha......

InkedIMG_0678.jpg

InkedIMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

Went to the fair last night and got a picture of the outside of the building where the tractors are below, it’s the big red building. I talked with the fellow again who runs the tractor exhibit and asked how many tractors are in there and he unfortunately has not counted them, BUT he did say he himself has 40 tractors and he picked one up in Arizona one time……

9AA73EED-B427-4727-9C7D-BF9DD83C683C.jpeg

A couple more of our tractors and the others across from us. This is all for now..…

ABC020FD-51D3-4288-969C-7E978A574993.jpeg

5C74D1DD-934B-4756-8592-80EB8D5795E9.jpeg

Back