Welding Table Cabinet Build

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I've been waiting & searching for a metal cabinet to go under my table. A lot of good buys but most wouldn't fit or not the right one.
I had some scraps left over from some other cabinets I built. I designed the cabinet around the drawers since I had a good idea what I was going to use them for...right angle grinder discs, orbital sander pads, & hardware so far.
I cut all the drawer boxes up, nothing fancy just simple & quick.
20190101_124715.jpg20190101_134314.jpg
I'm using 20" 100lb. ball bearing drawer slides. I sized up all the drawers then measured for the cabinet.
20190108_124856.jpg20190223_150125.jpg
I had some 1/8"x 1" zinc coated flat bar stock I'll use for the handles. I started to paint these but sometimes a 60 grit sander pad puts a nice swirly pattern that looks good. I sprayed a clear coat on them & used some plastic spacers I had from somewhere.
20190222_180103.jpg
I painted it gray & might put a semi gloss clear coat on it so I can easily wipe the dirt off.
20190223_145848.jpg
The top drawer I used a salvaged broom stick for dowels to hold the discs. The dowels had to be slightly smaller to fit the discs. I ran them in my drill press & held sanding blocks on each side.
20190223_145903.jpg20190112_135633.jpg
The second drawer holds all the orbital sander pads.
20190223_145950.jpg
The third drawer will hold some various nuts, bolts, & washers. I seen a guy on YouTube cut sections of plastic downspout. He stapled plywood bottoms on his but I didnt like that. I have some sheets of pvc I'm going to line the drawer bottom with then use pvc glue & plastic weld the boxes to the bottom.
20190223_150016.jpg
I'm thinking about hanging my grinders on the side of the cabinet for a next project. Thanks for viewing!

I keep my wood working tools and mechanical shop tools is separate buildings. Get enough dust, etc around the welders without adding sanding/saw dust to the mix. Nice job on the drawers.

Cabinet looks great! I never gravitated to woodwork.
I had picked up this small cabinet with intentions of putting it into my welding table but it just never happened. So many metal cabinets went to scrapyards due to modern filing methods.
Junior was over doing a woodworking project and although he cleaned the floor there was dust elsewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3563.JPG
    IMG_3563.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 14
I had picked up this small cabinet with intentions of putting it into my welding table but it just never happened. So many metal cabinets went to scrapyards due to modern filing methods.
Junior was over doing a woodworking project and although he cleaned the floor there was dust elsewhere.

Keep the saw dust in a pail and soak it up good with water, let it sit overnight is best. Use as sweeping compound on the floor to keep dust at a very minimum and get a cleaner floor.

That looks sharp! My only concern would be the use of wood under a welding table being a fire hazard. Those sparks get into everything.
Although I weld on the other side I have the same safety concerns too. I have some small galvanized sheets salvaged from a neighbors heat ducts. I'm thinking of wrapping the back side with that. I weld mostly outside next to my shop. Once I split my shop up between wood & metal projects things will be better. My idea is similar to the way you extended your shop. I'm at 20' wide x 29' long right now. I want to open the back wall for just passage & extend out another 16'.

Beautiful job ! You spent a lot of time but it will be worth it having it so handy and organized !
It's funny being a self employed trim carpenter for 34 years & have been trying to retire for another 3 years how I don't value my own time that much. Sometimes making what I want & not having to buy much if anything is my reward.

I keep my wood working tools and mechanical shop tools is separate buildings. Get enough dust, etc around the welders without adding sanding/saw dust to the mix. Nice job on the drawers.
Splitting my shop up is my plan too. When you guys got me in the tractor hobby was right before we moved to the country. Before I wanted to buy every orphan I seen, bring it home & rebuild or restore. Now actually using them has changed my reason. I want to keep the 20x29 area for wood projects & extend the back out for just mechanical projects. This will divide my sawdust & metal sparks. The idea you had about a mobile home for a shop is a good idea & I'm considering that. My problem is the only good place that is level is too far from the house. I get along too good with the wife right now maybe later that would be good. Lol

That red cabinet you got is what I was looking for. Everything I found had the two or three large drawers. I've had sawdust in my veins since birth. Metal working has been my new challenge since I got involved with garden tractors. Following all the build & repair threads keeps my mind occupied.

Excellent work, sawdust!! I've always envied guys that are artists, IMO, with wood. I do some woodwork but nothing fancy. My skills are mainly in mechanical and metalwork.
Mike
I don't know about being an artist but thanks Mike. I think you guys that work with metal are the artists. I'm just starting to do some metal work. Some of the welds & fabrication projects I've seen blows me away. Watching folks operate a lathe, a CNC machine or a good welder making things come to life is fascinating.

Naw, the difference between the two is if the welder cuts it too short he just fills the gap. If a carpenter cuts it too short he has to throw it away, LOL!! I'm sure the old saying "measure twice, cut once" came from carpenters.
Attached is pics of a lamp a very good friend made me for Christmas. All but the hardware and wire is hand made. He even makes the framing for the shade. He figures he has about 100 hrs in each lamp and this is the 9th one he's made. A true wood craftsman!!
Mike

Attachments

• larrys lamp 002.JPG
    larrys lamp 002.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 13
  • larrys lamp 001.JPG
    larrys lamp 001.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Naw, the difference between the two is if the welder cuts it too short he just fills the gap. If a carpenter cuts it too short he has to throw it away, LOL!! I'm sure the old saying "measure twice, cut once" came from carpenters.
Attached is pics of a lamp a very good friend made me for Christmas. All but the hardware and wire is hand made. He even makes the framing for the shade. He figures he has about 100 hrs in each lamp and this is the 9th one he's made. A true wood craftsman!!
Mike
I like the way your friend made the mount on the wall. The upper arm has to slide up & down.

Splitting my shop up is my plan too. When you guys got me in the tractor hobby was right before we moved to the country. Before I wanted to buy every orphan I seen, bring it home & rebuild or restore. Now actually using them has changed my reason. I want to keep the 20x29 area for wood projects & extend the back out for just mechanical projects. This will divide my sawdust & metal sparks. The idea you had about a mobile home for a shop is a good idea & I'm considering that. My problem is the only good place that is level is too far from the house. I get along too good with the wife right now maybe later that would be good. Lol

Don't need level ground to park a trailer. My wood shop is a 14 X 72' The bottom of the frame on the SW corner is 8" above ground. The NE corner is 42 above ground. My home, a 24 X 52 has the frame on the SW corner 2" above ground level. The NE corner is 4' above ground level. Set it across the slope, not up and down. Bought mine for $300. Neighbor moved it with his tractor about 10 miles.

A welder welds cracks shut. A wood butcher user 1-1/4" putty. A carpenter don't have cracks to worry about.

Back