Went to HF yesterday

MFDAC

Tractorologist
My old feeler gauges are getting hard to read so my wife and I went to HF yesterday. All I needed was a 5 dollar set of feeler gauges, but between her and I the bill came to $99.99---LOL! She needed 3 sets of ear muffs for work, and I ended up getting a set of micrometers too, along with some shop gloves and a few other misc. things.

DAC

DSCN4056.JPG

Those are decent mics. I got a set a couple years ago when I got my lathe. My problem is I forget how to read the darn things.

tubalcain has two great YouTube videos on reading mics. Videos #20 & 21.
Yes, same here. I don't need to use them often enough to remember easily how to read them! Mostly I use dial calipers. Their digital dial caliper that reads metric, std, and std fractions is super!

I love harbor freight.

My dad passes one on his trip to the doctor once a month. It's about an hour from the house. I always send him with a shipping list and cash.

They just released the 224cc predator. 2 more ft/lbs than the regular predator. It's a reinforced block with a stroker crank. Should be a nice base for a build.

I'm on their email list. I wait till there are enough good deals I want before going. They use to offer constant coupons. Now, post-covid, the coupons come only once a month in the emails.

At times, HF is more money than the other stores. Darn it, I'm toooooo frugal.

I will probably have to look that video up, Roger---LOL! I may need a refresher on how to read them too!

DAC

Have the calipers with you in when you watch it. Makes understanding it a lot easier. 2nd video has a quiz you can take to check yourself on reading them. Tubalcain is a retired machinist with vast knowledge of the metal lathes, None of the newer computerized stuff though.

I only put the battery in when I'm using it, then take it back out. Lasts much longer that way. I have the 8' and 6" deep throat calipers.
Same here Kenny but now I’m wondering if that constant battery removal is causing mine to blink. I’ve tried cleaning the contacts and different batteries but no go. I put that on my list along with the 8” too.

I was reading mics back in the late 60’s at 13 years old. I didn’t know it then but I was a guinea pig. I was sent across town to a desegregated school that had close to 85% minorities. They were testing kids in shop class to see what their capabilities were in trade school. I was one of three kids in my class that wasn’t the minority. I was taught to run a lathe, horizontal and vertical mills, welding, drill press, bench grinder and some foundry work. I had to stand on a wooden coke crate to run some of these. I enjoyed this and did very well with straight A’s. Because I was good in Math the mic was easy for me to catch on to. The mic actually kept several kids from doing well. It was a shame for reasons I won’t get into but it wasn’t offered the following year. Looking back to this makes me want to go buy a set of mics and start measuring everything. :D

Back