What do you do with squash?

I guess our philosophy on food is that a variety is healthy. If you eat red meat and potatoes and nothing else you will likely end up with heart proplems like me and my wife are dealing with now.
Sort of like changing oil in a motor after the connecting rod broke, But we are trying to eat a more healthy food group. Acorn Squash are considered to be somewhat Heart friendly.

Creamy butternut squash soup, or yellow crook neck summer squash or any other squash.

The soup.
2 Butternut Squash about 1.5 to 2 pounds.
Peel them cut in half and deseed, cut the halves in half, then slice from 1/8th to 1/4 inch thick.
Place the cut up pieces in the pot.

Add 1/4 tsp of garlic powder or if you have them 4 crushed cloves.
Add 2 tsps of butter not the fake stuff they sell called margrine.

Today I used a box (32OZ) of chicken broth low sodium. ****** more on this later.

Since I want this ready to pack at 8:00 AM I set the heat to medium to bring to a boil.
Check for softness after it has boiled about 10 minutes.
Once soft use a potato Masher to mash the chunks.
Once that is finished I use a imersion blender to blend reletive smooth, We like a bit of pieces in ours.
Once blended to the smoothness I have learned we like.
Turn stove to low heat

Add a Half cup of heavy cream and stir.
Be carefull at this point as the soup some times will make bubbles that pop burning you.

Drives me crazy the cans of chicken broth I use are 14.3 onces.

Those boxes that seem to be all the rage at stored are 32 onces, much more than the 28.6 onces I normally use. Seems the carton company would match either two cans or 3 cans so you don't have 4 onces left over if you follow the recipe as I have and some times the 28.6 onces is more than I want to use.

:D Al

Peel the squash.

Cut in half.

Remove seeds.

Cut up into chunks.

Place in pot. Add Chicken broth and other spices and such.

Set range to medium heat.

Cover and bring to a slow boil about 15 minutes or till tender.

When tender, I use a potato masher to test it, then a imerison blender to bleand it creamy smooth while adding the cream.
When it is blended smooth dish it up, add a mild chease, Bacon chunks or green onions.
Just chease here.

I use pretty much the same recipe for all squashes we are not going to bake, also culaflower, and broccli.

Al

Back