What's up next for us with old cars?

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
Look at the bull shirt going on in Cali outlawing mowers and weed eaters and such, and politician's push for "going all electric" for transportation in not very many years, I dread to think what they are gonna do with us that would rather drive old iron.
Do they think electricity will be free?
I mean even now, when summer is at its hottest and we're getting curtailment, brownouts, and such as it is now, and telling us to reduce usage and do certain things after the sun goes down and the outside temp cools "naturally" and electric use goes down, when we are all driving oversized golf carts which are plugged in as we sleep, don't they think curtailments will be an even bigger issue than now?
We won't be buying gas but what will happen to our electric bill? IT won't go DOWN!
And places generating electricity will be using more energy to provide electric current.... There is no free lunch.

My fear is also that they tried cash for clunkers once... The next one will be farther reaching and less "optional".
And like they did to eliminate 3 wheel ATVs they banned companies from making them and then banned them from even making parts specifically needed for a 3 wheeler too. I can see a day when we can't get distributor caps and rotors or spark plugs or maybe suspension parts
Is that why nothing uses 14 or 15" tires any more.... When those are unavailable any more well now we have yard ornaments because of that..... I don't like what I'm seeing here. So much for "freedom". Or even "freedom" within a given set of boundaries.....
I am a fleet mechanic for the state .... And every year I am seeing more crap on newer vehicles that I don't want to have to work on. Which drives my desire for older things even more, every day. I have to work til I'm 67 (if I live that long) before I can retire. I'm 54 now. Too old to look for other work and hope to have any sense of a retirement income. So I'm stuck. And tired of powers that be trying to brainwash us into their way of thinking we really want what they are pushing.

Last edited:
I can appreciate that you are depressed about what you think is the future. Try to take things one day at a time and make a point to focus on the positive things around you. The future is unknown and trying to determine what it will be is a waist of good brain power. It's like trying to figure out what's going on in someone's head. Thankfully we can't do it.
As most here know I own a 90 year old car and enjoy it. I have no intentions of letting someone else's ideas take that away from me. It also brightens the day for many others who come in contact with it. Enjoy what you have, be grateful for what you have, and don't let others spoil your day.
Go buy an old car and enjoy it. You'll be glad you did.
Retire as soon as possible even if it scares you. I will never regret having done so.

Last edited:
I honestly don't lose much sleep worrying if they're going to take my cars. They been saying as long as I remember they were going to take our guns too (I still got mine).
And 14" and 15" tires ? Good ridden.
And banning 3 wheelers. Thank goodness. Most dangerous things ever make.

Last edited:
I have a few old cars now. I 3 season daily driver and 2 projects. And it's the 2 projects that scare me with all this "electric car" mandate BS they are trying to jam down our throats. The thread on Cali wanting to do away with gas powered mowers and such kinda fueled this for me.
I have my old cars and a garage full of L&G equipment, will it all be worthless scrap after I put all my time and money into them? It aggravates me what new is going for, with alot of plastic and Chinesium, and for how fast they rot out to nothing, what isn't plastic these days.
I'd rather build me a nice daily driver than to spend the money and make all those outrageous payments I just don't want it to be for naught.
I'm looking at an older 3/4 ton club cab truck for which I have plenty of rust free body parts already... And that's after I use the amount of my stash to get the 1/2 ton that is very much like it, into the shape I want it to be in.

Get an old car, better yet get an old car with no engine ! Maybe a Chevy Nova, Plymouth Duster, etc. Drop in a diesel tractor engine in it. Bam-o, you got wheels and fuel.

They can't replace trucking nor heavy equipment diesels due to the raw power and long distance hauling. Electric drops distance big time in the cold.

Old school diesels can run on nearly anything too.

I honestly don't lose much sleep worrying if they're going to take my cars. They been saying as long as I remember they were going to take our guns too (I still got mine).
And 14" and 15" tires ? Good ridden.
And banning 3 wheelers. Thank goodness. Most dangerous things ever make.
Wait a minute, Bill! I NEED 15" tires! Got 2 trucks that use them!!!!

DAC

Get an old car, better yet get an old car with no engine ! Maybe a Chevy Nova, Plymouth Duster, etc. Drop in a diesel tractor engine in it. Bam-o, you got wheels and fuel.

They can't replace trucking nor heavy equipment diesels due to the raw power and long distance hauling. Electric drops distance big time in the cold.

Old school diesels can run on nearly anything too.
I wish I could find a Duster these days. A car I have wanted for years.

They have been trying to get rid of racing on the lower local level also. To much pollution they ( government and climate people ) say. Well when they stop traveling in fossil fuel guzzling planes, trains and automobiles ( hey, that sounds like a good movie title) then maybe people will catch onto the idea. Until then, I say fill it up, get in sit down strap up and hold on, I'm drivin until I can't anymore. Good Luck.
Roger

Last edited:
Back