Wheel Horse get new shoes

Cvans

Tractorologist
My old Wheel Horse was still running the original tires and they were getting pretty sad looking. On top of that they never were designed for dirt work although they did a fair job. On the Wheel Horse I put the Lister Diesel in I had installed ATV tires on the back and really liked the way they worked. They were some I had and were 25x8x12's and were too tall to fit under the fenders. I had to raise the whole seat pan to install the tires. This time I purchased 24x8x12's with a more square face and they fit great.
IMG_0877.JPG
This is the tractor that I installed the 8hp snow blower engine into. I'm really liking the 110v start feature. No dang battery to deal with and it starts right now. Been setting since last fall and started as soon as I pushed the button. After it warms up it is very easy to start without leaving the seat. The big D handle that comes on the engines sticks out on the left side. I just lean forward and give the handle a tug and it's running. My left shoulder is still good so this works out great.
IMG_0884.JPG
I have two sets of wheel weights for this and forgot to put either on. Was dragging the drive and then rolled it. The roller is made out of 3/8" steel and filled with anti-freeze. I think it's 24" in diameter and I think about 60" long and made from an old anhydrous ammonia vessel. You'd think after building it a guy could remember. Anyway I was wishing I had installed a set of rear weights. The new tires worked good but a little more weight would have been nice and will be a big plus in the garden.
IMG_0878.JPG
Every year I tell myself that this needs a scraper to keep the roller clean. Every year it doesn't get done and I end up using a shovel. It works good right after frost out for rolling the lawn which is something else that got done today. Another thing that's needed is some snow blower tires on the front. The originals tend to slide when pulling a load. I had them on the Lister Wheel Horse and they worked very good.

That's a nice tractor, Chris! The roller looks like a 500 gallon propane tank in that picture---LOL!

I'm kind of the other way around on the snowblower engines. I love the 10 HP Tecumseh I put in the MF8E many years ago, but would rather have the 12V start. It won't start with the pull rope if I kill the engine out in the yard somewhere and have to pull a cord out to it to plug it in. There is a power steering pump powering the blade lift cylinder and turning that pump is too much for the rope pull, or too much for this guy to pull hard enough anyway.

DAC

My old Wheel Horse was still running the original tires and they were getting pretty sad looking. On top of that they never were designed for dirt work although they did a fair job. On the Wheel Horse I put the Lister Diesel in I had installed ATV tires on the back and really liked the way they worked. They were some I had and were 25x8x12's and were too tall to fit under the fenders. I had to raise the whole seat pan to install the tires. This time I purchased 24x8x12's with a more square face and they fit great.
View attachment 67405
This is the tractor that I installed the 8hp snow blower engine into. I'm really liking the 110v start feature. No dang battery to deal with and it starts right now. Been setting since last fall and started as soon as I pushed the button. After it warms up it is very easy to start without leaving the seat. The big D handle that comes on the engines sticks out on the left side. I just lean forward and give the handle a tug and it's running. My left shoulder is still good so this works out great.
View attachment 67406
I have two sets of wheel weights for this and forgot to put either on. Was dragging the drive and then rolled it. The roller is made out of 3/8" steel and filled with anti-freeze. I think it's 24" in diameter and I think about 60" long and made from an old anhydrous ammonia vessel. You'd think after building it a guy could remember. Anyway I was wishing I had installed a set of rear weights. The new tires worked good but a little more weight would have been nice and will be a big plus in the garden.
View attachment 67407
Every year I tell myself that this needs a scraper to keep the roller clean. Every year it doesn't get done and I end up using a shovel. It works good right after frost out for rolling the lawn which is something else that got done today. Another thing that's needed is some snow blower tires on the front. The originals tend to slide when pulling a load. I had them on the Lister Wheel Horse and they worked very good.
I have one similar to yours Chris that I made but only about 48"wide. Made out of an old galvanized water tank many years ago. Probably held 50 gallons (guessing). Just filled it with water whenever I needed it.
But over the years it starting to rust through in spots to the point I can't even touch it with a welder without making the hole 5x what it was..
Thinking about just filling it up with sand and calling it a day. And keep the neighbors from borrowing it..
IMG_20220408_163710.jpg

And keep the neighbors from borrowing it..
Good luck with that. I'm very picky about who barrows my stuff. Didn't used to be that way but I got tired of stuff not coming back or brought back broken without sayin anything.
This roller has covered many miles and has no bearings. Just a steel pipe running on the outside of smaller steel pipe. Keep it greased and it works fine. Used it for years to roll the airfield.

View attachment 67405
View attachment 67406
View attachment 67407
Chris you were the one that recommended the snowblower tires for the front. That’s what I got for my Simplicity 3415H and I’m really happy with them.

When the clutch is depressed on mine there is nothing loading the engine. In your case I'd have a battery too.
Only killed the engine once when I had to run out 50' or so of cord. Just can't shut it off anywhere but near an outlet to be easy. I put a pull start Briggs 8HP on it 32 years ago when I first got it with a blown engine. Guess for the first 15 years or so I was man enough to yank the rope to start it. Got wimpy since then. The Briggs was still running fine, but starting harder. I was getting softer probably. Put on a snowblower engine I had just to get some kind of electric start!

DAC

Back