Wood Band Rotting Out

chieffan

Tractorologist
Built the 32 x 38' machine shed about 12 years ago. Guy had a much larger building the wind took down. I got the material for the clean up. Found it it was one of those Kansas post frame buildings the company throws up a quick and cheep as they can then disappears. Supposed to be treated lumber exposed to the weather or ground. Very lightly treated as it has started to rot above ground and fall apart. Found two places yesterday where a 2' piece of 2X6 has fell apart on the bottom band below the steel. Will have to cut a couple pieces of steel to cover them till next year. May go ahead and replace the whole wood band then. Don't have much in the whole building other than the labor to clean it up.

The lower 2x6 treated band on our building is rotting away, but this was built in the 1970's. I also found a couple spots where the 2x6 that the gutters are fastened too have gotten wet and rotted.

GOPR1783 (2)-m.JPG

Have replaced 4 or 5 along the North end. More went last year so covered it with heavy plastic to keep the snow out. No sun get to it so still in good shape. Thinking of covering everything with steel sheeting. A custom steel siding company is not far from me. Might see if I can get flat pieces, end rolls, et. before they form it. Top board is usually OK so would have something to fasten it to.

Back