Wood Spliter

chieffan

Tractorologist
All the commercial wood spliters I have seen are rated by the ton, meaning tons of pressure per square inch I would guess. Any way of guesstimating the ton rating of a home made spliter ?

Easy, just know the max pressure x the area of the piston in sq inches to get total force, divide by 2,000 to get tons of force.
Without a gauge, how would one know the max pressure ? ? Very few commercial spliter have a gauge on them and throw a variety of ton numbers out.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t the pressure normally be about 3000 psi. ??? Maybe 3500. Maybe your pump has the rating on it Roger.

Noel

Wouldn’t the pressure normally be about 3000 psi. ??? Maybe 3500. Maybe your pump has the rating on it Roger.

Noel
My have, never looked and kind of hard to get to. Wouldn't the speed of the pump vary the pressure?

Not by much (gear pump has some losses that would be more apparent at low speed). You should expect pump speed to only effect how fast the ram cycles.

OK, learning something about hydraulics here. 3" motor pulley and 4" pump pulley. Motor turns right at 3200 ±. Will have to measure the cylinder and then guess at the ram size. A larger cylinder would probably lower the travel speed of the ram also?

To increase the flow rate would need larger hoses from the pump to the ram by way of a larger valve. Not really feasable cost wise ujless building from the bottom up. My set up originally had a long loader cylinder and was tractor hydraulic powered. Cylinder needed resealed and I didn't want to tie up a tractor on a wood spliter. Picked up a pump, cylinder, valve and hoses from a guy that never got his spliter built. Got a old 10 hp cast iron Briggs for power. I works good and has plenty of power. Mounted on a 10" H beam the splitter will torque the beam a tiny bit in real hard knotty stuff. This got me to thinking about the ton rating on the commercial splitters sold. Have no idea what this old splitter would be rated at. Thanks for all the good information.

Yep, I mis read it, print to small. 31,000 lbs. Read the info on a bunch of different pumps from 11 gpm up to 16 gpm and all had the same psi that listed that number. Mine has the wrong valve on it. Does not have the neutral return at the end of the stroke. Don't bother me as I have run it enough I know right were the end is and stop before I get there. No one else run it either. Let the boy run it once helping me and he was constantly burning the belt so ended that.

The little electric splitter I have, works great and splits any thing I put in it. Might have to turn the round around maybe. But spilts splits any wood I get. Its rated at 5 ton.

Noel

Yep, I mis read it, print to small. 31,000 lbs. Read the info on a bunch of different pumps from 11 gpm up to 16 gpm and all had the same psi that listed that number. Mine has the wrong valve on it. Does not have the neutral return at the end of the stroke. Don't bother me as I have run it enough I know right were the end is and stop before I get there. No one else run it either. Let the boy run it once helping me and he was constantly burning the belt so ended that.
Used my friends home made splitter, Two cylinder Wisconsin, high flow pump, no pressure relief, double belt. If you bottomed out the cylinder it stopped that big old Wisconsin dead. Had the wife operating the splitter while I did all the wood handling. Kept telling her not to bottom out the cylinder and explaining it to no avail. Once she blew a hose and gave us both a hot oil bath the problem was solved. I repaired the splitter, refilled the oil and she never bottomed out the cylinder again.
Don

Sounds like you both need a pressure relief valve or some adjustment if you already have one. Another reason to have a pressure gauge and it will help tell you of pump or cylinder problems.

All I do is watch the ram. Has a use mark for when it is fully in. Stop just before that point. Extended the slide with the push plate has a wear mark also. Got to where I guess pretty good for the next length. The wood I get is not all the same length like if I cut it. Pressure gauge would tell me after the fact. Pressure is going to read the same till the ram hits the end of the stroke then the gauge will jump. To late. Belt is already squeling or motor has died.

Back