work all week race Friday night

hamman

Tractorologist
When I saw this forum I thought of nearly 40 years ago when my brothers and I raced oval track here in Michigan. Back when Friday / Saturday night racing was somewhat affordable for driving and attending races. Our problem was that the track was 70+ miles one way to race. Here is the car I drove for a few years.
1969 Mach one Mustyang 351 Clevland. All stock. 3 point seatbelt and single hoop rollbar with two down kickers to the frame. Street Stock division .
My brothers and i all raced the same track. We flat towed our cars both ways.
Roger IMG_7422.JPGIMG_7429.JPGIMG_7425.JPGIMG_7432.JPG

There are still a lot of the street stock and lower guys that flat trailer their cars. Some of those trailers one wonders how there ever made it there and we hoped they made it off the track ground when the night was over. Our local track has been a NASCAR dirt track for over 30 years now. Spent a lot of dirty Saturday nights down there and I don't miss that part one bit. The Kosiski brothers raced here about every Sat night. Lincolin, Ne. on Friday, here on Sat. and Sunset speedway on Sunday night. Joe and Steve were both National dirt track Champions.

There are still a lot of the street stock and lower guys that flat trailer their cars. Some of those trailers one wonders how there ever made it there and we hoped they made it off the track ground when the night was over. Our local track has been a NASCAR dirt track for over 30 years now. Spent a lot of dirty Saturday nights down there and I don't miss that part one bit. The Kosiski brothers raced here about every Sat night. Lincolin, Ne. on Friday, here on Sat. and Sunset speedway on Sunday night. Joe and Steve were both National dirt track Champions.
Flat towing back then refered to towing by towbar! The flat part came because you would get a lot of flat tires towing them on towbar. You just had to make sure you had extra tires to race with.

Ya, real racing. We have some fellas here with hopped up lawn tractors running on a dirt track. Lots of dust and dirt. Always reminds mind of the dirt track stock car racing.

My uncle, on the right, and his buddy had a stock car. Late fifties, early sixties. Picture is in my living room. Best hot dogs you could ever have from the little canteens there at the track

Noel

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 6
That's very cool, Roger! Bet you had a lot of fun! I was involved at our local dirt track for 40 years. Half-mile clay oval. Worked for a company for 3 years that tried to make it into NASCAR's highest ranks 1973-1975. I was still to young to be in the pits anywhere pretty much back then though. Started pitting in 1977 and kept it up until 2008. 17 seasons with the same driver/owner. I am still on the Hall of Fame committee for local racing, one of the 5 voting members. I started lettering cars in 1982 and did several hundred at least, still do one now and then.

I did have a brief 3 year driving career racing 200 lap enduros 1986-1988. Once a month ran the same car in all of them. We called it "Coupe De Crush". A friend of mine that won several called my car "the Caddle Truck". I only got in the money--top 5 3 times but it was a lot of fun. The guy sitting on the hood drove the race car i was pitting for every Friday night of 17 seasons, along with his wife.

DAC

Coupe De Crush 001.jpg Coupe De Crush 002.jpg Coupe De Crush 003.jpg Coupe De Crush 004.jpg Coupe De Crush.jpg

You make me miss my dirt track days. I wish I had photos. Never took many and the ones I did take were on a flip phone that I never backed up and saves the photos from....

That's a good idea! I found the track webpage but only goes back to 2009. We only did it from 2002 to 2005.
There should be some photographer credits on pics. Then see if they have a website or social media page of some sort. One of our photographers and historians has a great website that has Black Hills Speedway historical photos clear back to 1948. A couple of the other photogs through the years also have pages on his page!

It may take a little hunting. Did you do any race track shows? Ask some guys you raced with if you are still in contact with any of them.

DAC

Back