Working on the Case snowcaster

MNGB

Tractorologist
Well with the fall plowing completed and the temps dropping I figured it was time to see if I could get the snowcaster installed on the Case 446. Got it into the shop looked it over and tried putting the hitch/mule drive on no go this tractor has had a bad hit on the RH front at one time other than the hood not being straight you can't see any obvious bends but its off just enough that the hitch didn't want to install so after checking and measuring I ended up using the die grinder and elongating the rear mount slot finally got it so it would go on pretty good. When I removed the hitch from the blower I found that the steel bushing in the pivot points had been replaced with those plastic bushing that come with a bench grinder wheel so it was to fabricate new bushings got those done and reinstalled the hitch to the blower. This tractor had been sitting in the weeds and sadly parts are missing for the snowcaster like the lift arm and chute hold down brackets so its to fabricate those. Looked online e bay etc the lift arm is priced at $130.00 and the chute hold downs are $40.00 each to much for this poor old guy

HPIM1278.JPGHPIM1283.JPG

Got a few things done on the blower this afternoon, finished up with the chute hold downs and got them painted, finished the lift arm and painted it then fabricated a U joint for the chute crank and built a crank found a drive belt in the collection of belts in the parts room so will try installing that tomorrow along with the lift arm and the chute, I seen this afternoon that one of the skid shoes it missing so will be building one of them also.

HPIM1354.JPGHPIM1356.JPGHPIM1358.JPGHPIM1359.JPGHPIM1360.JPGHPIM1361.JPGHPIM1362.JPG

Chris, did you put the rubber on the thrower to help it throw. I can’t really tell from the picture, but it does not look like it.

Noel

Are you talking about a impeller kit? I have one on my little MTD and it is the Cats MEOW for no clog throwing of slush.

This HF 212cc powdered blower is my pride and joy.

:D Al

Yes, that's what I mean. I've heard lots about them , but have not tried it yet.

Noel

Made so good progress on the snowblower today had a time with the chute didn't want to rotate would bind checked the chute to see if it was round it was so checked the outlet and it was out of round with lots of tweaking with the 15" crescent wrench finally got it pretty close and the chute would rotate pretty good it would turn to the right good but going to the left it was jerky finally figured out that screw was not meshing right installed a washer to move it aft and now it rotates nice. Got the chute crank bent close enough so it works good the lift arm is good, installed a new drive belt didn't have an A80 so tried a 81 it works for testing but will slip in use but the blower runs really nice and smooth now its to fabricate a skid shoe for the right side
HPIM1363.JPGHPIM1364.JPGHPIM1365.JPG

The snowcaster is coming along good remembered I had an old MTD blower in the weeds so checked it and it had 2 skid shoes that are in excellent condition so removed them and got them installed on the snowcaster had to drill a new hole for one of the mount bolts. Then went to work on making a set of mounts for rear wheel wts got that done and the wts installed 65 lbs per side used bar-bell wts they worked out good they look good on the tractor.
HPIM1368.JPGHPIM1369.JPGHPIM1370.JPGHPIM1372.JPGHPIM1373.JPGHPIM1374.JPGHPIM1375.JPGHPIM1376.JPGHPIM1366.JPGHPIM1367.JPG

Got the cab mounts fabricated and installed its going to work ok have to pickup some PVC pipe fittings and a length of pipe to make the uprights the front one in the pictures are for PK3 and I have to use a couple of 45 degree elbows to get the left upright out and around the PTO lever and then back in to mate to the top frame. Put the canopy on to see how it all fits will have to shorten the verticals about 2 inches

HPIM1381.JPGHPIM1382.JPGHPIM1384.JPGHPIM1385.JPGHPIM1386.JPGHPIM1387.JPG

I was going to make a pair of wheel weight mounts like yours. I was going to cut the ends off of a barbell that has the spin on nuts. I'm still waiting to find some cheap enough weights.

Amazon has steel powder coated weights for a dollar a pound. Free shipping too once you get 25.00 worth. Think that makes the weights free from the Amazon end.

Two 50lbs. weights . . . that's a little more than I want to spend.

Back