Ya Never Know What You Find Goin' To Home Depot......

1967Craftsman's

Tractorologist
And this goes back to mid to late April of this year. My stepdad and I were going to Home Depot together one day but I forget what for, and literally 5 houses up from ours there was this red what looked to be tractor out of the corner of my eye just sitting at the curb, so I told my stepdad "turn around I thought I saw a tractor". We turned around and sure enough there was a red tractor sitting at the curb. We pulled over to look at it and I was debating about using it as puller but then stupid me said "nah I'll pass on it it's too new to pull with and I don't know how good of a puller these things are and I don't have room for it". Then the owner comes outside and says "it's free", and my stepdad immediately says to me "let's go get the truck and get it before someone else does" so we did. We went and got his truck and the owner came back out when we came back and was even nice enough to pump up all the tires for us to make it easier to get in the truck as they were flat, and he also gave us a little history on it too. He said he got it from his daughter a couple years ago and it was sitting in her shed for about 10-15 years, her now ex was supposed to get it in a divorce but he never got it so he got it and was gonna fix it. We loaded it up in the truck and the guy says "I bought some parts for it too to fix it but I got too many projects and I will never get around to it, they're under the hood". We got it home and sure enough there were the parts, a new ignition coil and something else but I forget what it was.

When we originally got it we were thinking about just getting it running and flipping it but then we decided to make a "hotrod" and a mud mower type of tractor out of it. 2 weeks went by after we got it and my stepdad got it running, took the deck off, and switched the old turf tires to the now ag tires because the old ones were cracked and kept going flat. We drove it around our yard 6 times then the drive belt breaks, so then we got a new one and put it on JUST in time for the 2022 Zagray Farm spring show. Then we officially debuted it and drove it around at the 2022 Zagray Farm spring show. Future plans for the tractor include an exhaust stack and a front push bar of some sort.

Thanks for looking.

Very cool Eric! All nice tractors! I just noticed though, that this Murray has an OHV engine. The one I am trying to find information for is a flathead 12 hp I/C Briggs. Model number may not work. Location of the number may be the same at least.

DAC

12 HP B/S. Couldn't find any engine numbers.

DAC

View attachment 54911 View attachment 54912

Hmmm, this makes me wanna look for the engine number on our Murray. I also have an 8 hp Briggs that is on an old leaf blower my grandfather gave me BUT that is a horizontal engine (that I still have to fix and sell), I would have to look at that to see where the number would be ok that and maybe it would be the same on your tractor. I will look tomorrow morning and get back to you.

Hmmm, this makes me wanna look for the engine number on our Murray. I also have an 8 hp Briggs that is on an old leaf blower my grandfather gave me BUT that is a horizontal engine (that I still have to fix and sell), I would have to look at that to see where the number would be ok that and maybe it would be the same on your tractor. I will look tomorrow morning and get back to you.
I do know that Murray did both engines in the research recently. I do not know which is oldests for a fact, but I suspect that mine is closer to 1988 or 1989. The date on my tag makes no sense at all, where yours is obvious. My "date" number is 1432.

DAC

For the engine #'s, you may have to take the flywheel shroud off to see it. Mine is on the shroud right above the spark plug.
I never took pics way back when I had that stuff off 12 years ago, Kenny. I'm just kind of curious on the date of this tractor and the engine numbers may give me an idea, since the tractor date code makes no sense.

DAC

I notice that by the picture you posted, it makes no sense to me either. Maybe because they were built at different factories?
Yeah, Eric, they had to use some kind of "secret code" for the date---LOL! Who knows why they do such things!

I tried to see if there is a sticker on that front part of the blower housing like Kenny said his has, looking through those grill slots but can't see any sticker on it.

DAC

Yeah, Eric, they had to use some kind of "secret code" for the date---LOL! Who knows why they do such things!

I tried to see if there is a sticker on that front part of the blower housing like Kenny said his has, looking through those grill slots but can't see any sticker on it.

DAC
Mine is not a sticker, numbers are stamped into the housing.

It’s kind of funny discussing the ID plates. Most of us are use to the old stuff with metal stampings or metal tags. The few new stuff that I have seen some are just a sticker with a bar code and the numbers. A few good washing’s and that is gone.

Back