Yanmar canopy

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Did a write up a while ago about a canopy I made for my 147. While worked ok it was to short in front and kept getting dripped on all the time.
2021-02-22_17-37-26_825 (1).jpg
So with time on my side I'd figured I'd extend it a bit . All this material is made out of old bed liners which are tough, easy to work with and cheap.
Extended it by about 9" to the front. I then added some sides to help with the wind and snow. Not the greatest protection but should help.
Also adding a 36" x 30" lexan windscreen to the front. Got the frame made but don't have the lexan yet. Hopefully today.
IMG_20211217_093158.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_093214.jpg
    IMG_20211217_093214.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
You won't to be far from a cab!
Yeah I know Kenny. Once I get the front shield on I might have a few more ideas. Maybe roll up side skirts ??? something like golf carts use.
We'll see... I have an old tonneau cover from a Ranger I had that I might try to utilize. Just got to get the wheels turn' in.

As I'm always messing around with this my wife says " why don't you just buy a plow for your truck.." Did have me thinking a bit but where would all the fun be then ?

Last edited:
Having had both a plow and loader, if you have room for the snow a plow is great. If you don't than you can put a lot more snow in a smaller area with a loader. AND! If your need to move the snow later it's a lot harder to do with a plow.
Sure nice to set in a warm truck though.

Having had both a plow and loader, if you have room for the snow a plow is great. If you don't than you can put a lot more snow in a smaller area with a loader. AND! If your need to move the snow later it's a lot harder to do with a plow.
Sure nice to set in a warm truck though.
Believe or not Chris I can heap the snow higher with the blade. That's providing you can ride up the snow bank and your front wheels don't sink. My bucket is pretty small (42") and doesn't hold a lot of snow. Plus it wanted stick in the bucket and not come out. Didnt work well for me..
And I do always push back plenty far enough as so not to be an issue later on in the winter.

If you look at the first picture above (lasts year snow) that snow bank is about 7' high in back of the tractor

Got the windshield in. Came out pretty good I think.
View attachment 46257 View attachment 46258 View attachment 46259

Now to start thinking about some sides. Going to have to sleep on this a bit..????

I've saved a few images over the years. Lets see if any can help you. ;)

112145581.jpg

I like his way to over under the front windshield.

112145577.jpg

112146466.jpg

Another DIY cab in the EU.

yanmar-cab-rt-side-ymF22D-usa.png

And like your top canopy with the durable rubber blockers, this person used a softer type as a flapper to access the rear 3PT

yanmar-cab-rear-lower-ym2210-europe-made.png

Maybe snag a Arnold or Ariens walkbehind showthrower enclosure and use the vinyl sides?

6ACDD177-8BD7-4C77-B716-C027B4C7CB38.jpeg

From the 80-20 build it yourself blog

homemade-cab.png

You've made some great progress already. :)

I've saved a few images over the years. Lets see if any can help you. ;)

View attachment 46282

I like his way to over under the front windshield.

View attachment 46283

View attachment 46284

Another DIY cab in the EU.

View attachment 46285

And like your top canopy with the durable rubber blockers, this person used a softer type as a flapper to access the rear 3PT

View attachment 46286

Maybe snag a Arnold or Ariens walkbehind showthrower enclosure and use the vinyl sides?

View attachment 46287

From the 80-20 build it yourself blog

View attachment 46288

You've made some great progress already. :)
Thanks Maverick. Always good to see other ideas. May not even happen right away as its useable as is . But that could change ;) . I'm one of those guys thats gotta walk around it for a while and let the gears turn. Then things sorta happen.

Thanks Maverick. Always good to see other ideas. May not even happen right away as its useable as is . But that could change ;) . I'm one of those guys thats gotta walk around it for a while and let the gears turn. Then things sorta happen.

Looking at your front window, I have one similar to it in size up in the garage rafters. You have me thinking too. ;)

Well I slept since the last time and came up with a idea that I think will work for my sides. I'll be using clear curtains made out 20ga. clear vinyl.
To attach and be able to get in and out was tough but came up with this..
IMG_20211222_184707.jpg IMG_20211222_184713.jpg IMG_20211222_184721.jpg
For the bottom support I'm using aluminum crossbows from my old Ranger tonneau cover. Spring loaded so ill use that to unhook at bottom and flip up to get in and out. The rest the way around ill put button snaps around the vinyl to attach and remove when not needed. IMG_20211222_184733.jpg

Anyway I got things cut out and will work at it more tomorrow.

Cool idea! Think about these fasteners a bit. As the vinyl ages and gets stiff, may tear at the snaps.
Edit: Forgot the link earlier.
Yea that is a (was) concern of them tearing. Seem to work ok as long as they're back off the edge a fair amount. 20ga seems pretty tough.

Last edited:
I did get one side semi finished today. I think it will work for what I'm wanting...not totally in love how I get in and out but I'll manage.

IMG_20211223_172519.jpg

View from the inside looking out.
IMG_20211223_172541.jpg

IMG_20211223_172612.jpg IMG_20211223_172605.jpg

Again the bottom aluminum bar is spring loaded. So that gets removed, pulled up and duck underneath to get in. Not horrible.
I'll also be adding some Velcro strips to the front windshield frame to hold in place if needed.
Not planning on any covering down around my legs and feet ....(yet).

Last edited:
You might change your mind about that after using it out in the blowing snow. Still what you have is a lot better than being out in the open.
I hear what you're saying. Making something for the lower portion would be a little more difficult. Not quite sure its even doable with what I have already. Maybe if I would have started with a full frame cab and most importantly started with a plan . This all started about 3 years ago when "all" I wanted was just a sunshade....See what happens when you retire ?
Keep in mine that I plowed snow probably 20 years without anything so this might be like a greenhouse in comparison.... " I hope".

One other thing that concerns me a little is I hope I don't ice up and can't see out...

One other thing that concerns me a little is I hope I don't ice up and can't see out...
I installed a soft cab on the JD 2032 and it's totally enclosed and tight. I have no problems with the windows fogging as there is plenty of air coming through the dash area from the engine compartment. I also have one on my Kubota and it doesn't fog up either. Hopefully you will not have any problems.
JD 2032 cab.jpgJD 2032 cab 2.jpgJD 2032 cab 3.jpg

Back