My Free Stihl Weed Whacker

You don't fill the gas tank with oil then add a little gas....
Hope he's not mixing in the gas tank.
That's what it was sounding like a couple of posts ago

Son of a *****, I’m so stupid. D*** it, thats exactly what I did. F***. Yup. I put the whole 8oz bottle of oil in the tank first then put the gas in, which is my 2nd picture in post 15. Then I diluted it the best I could and thats how I ended up with the last picture in that same post. Looks like I’m gonna have to recycle the old gas in my can because its blue, and start all over again. Good thing I bought 2 things of oil.

50 to 1 is the easiest mixture to make.
50 drops of gasoline to 1 drop oil. (if you are into RC hobby crafts we do it this way)
50 ounces of gasoline to 1 ounce oil
50ml of gasoline to 1ml oil
50L of gasoline to 1L oil
50 1/2 gallon of gasoline to 1 1/2 gallon oil
. . . .

The chart you gave works for the 50:1 as well

Thank you for that information. I will definitely have to look at the oil and gas cans next time I put them in. What does everyone think, should I maybe put the oil in the small black cap from the oil itself then dump it in the tank?

I use a couple old baby bottles, one for chemicals and one for oil. 2.5 oz of oil to a gallon of gas. I use a 1 gallon gas can for the 50:1mix only. put the 2.5 oz of oil in the can, then pour in the gas till the 1 gallon can is full. You may not end up with exactly 50:1 but it will be close enough that the engine will run on it OK. Good luck.

Thank you for that information. I will definitely have to look at the oil and gas cans next time I put them in. What does everyone think, should I maybe put the oil in the small black cap from the oil itself then dump it in the tank?
Eric normally when people mix gas for their 2 cycle equipment they mix a gallon or 2 at a time. Makes mixing much easier. But if don't want that much gas sitting around and only want to mix a very small amount you'll have to use something like a quart jar.
I see you your gas tank on your Stihl holds " Fuel tank capacity: 0.51 l (1.1 US pt) " So in a 1 qt. jar of gas you'd want to put 0.64 oz of oil (about a tablespoon and a half). This should give you about 2 tanks of gas.
Always always mix your gas and oil in a separate container first never in the gas tank.
With the amount of oil you added originally you see there was WAY too much (0.64 oz vs 8.0 oz)
Below is a oil mix calculator that does all the math for you for mixing pretty much any amount you want. Just remember think of fuel mix ratios as "parts". Meaning 50parts to 1part. Doesn't matter what those parts are.

P.S. dump your old fuel out of the tank and start with new.

Last edited:
Son of a *****, I’m so stupid. D*** it, thats exactly what I did. F***. Yup. I put the whole 8oz bottle of oil in the tank first then put the gas in, which is my 2nd picture in post 15. Then I diluted it the best I could and thats how I ended up with the last picture in that same post. Looks like I’m gonna have to recycle the old gas in my can because its blue, and start all over again. Good thing I bought 2 things of oil.
We all make mistakes including me. I grabbed the wrong container of fuel for a B&S engine and filled it with diesel rather than gas. It was ag diesel so no red die to it and was clear like gas. Did the same thing with a gas tractor years ago. Have a blue container for diesel now.

I always run my small 2 cycle items fat- 40:1 even if it calls for different.. I'd rather replace a plug or two instead of a block/piston..

Carbs for these are cheap so if it still won't start slap a new one on it... Did you check the compression? They run in the high range ~150-ish so if it's low you are wasting your time.

Always always mix gas and oil in a separate gas can. Outboard motors are the only exception to this that I know of. Even my RC fuel is mixed externally and kept in an airtight container for no more than 30 days.
Do not guess at the ratio either.

Not sure if anyone else does it but I had separate containers for my 2 cycle oil. One for the boat, one for my chainsaw, and one for the weed whacker. They were all different mixes. I also marked all the containers with the mix ratio and what it was for so I wouldn't have to guess what they were for.

Best thing to do is chuck that thing back into the dumpster. The days of 2 cycle has weed whackers are long gone. Get a decent battery one. I got 5.5 acres and a 7 year old battery kobalt weed whacker. Original battery still holds a charge for over an hour. If I am really motivated I switch out to another one. No screwing around anymore fighting with a gas one, no noise, don't stink like exhaust either.

I only have one two stroke piece of equipment, a Poulan chainsaw. In this thread by @jason silliker he had the idea of using a laundry soap bottle as a gas can for smaller quantities that two stroke engines need. I took his idea and made a gas jug for the chain saw.

DSCN4757.JPG

DSCN4758.JPG

Had been using a plastic one gallon gas can before, but this is pretty easy to use. Yeah unscrew the cap on the other end to vent it a bit.

DAC

Best thing to do is chuck that thing back into the dumpster. The days of 2 cycle has weed whackers are long gone. Get a decent battery one. I got 5.5 acres and a 7 year old battery kobalt weed whacker. Original battery still holds a charge for over an hour. If I am really motivated I switch out to another one. No screwing around anymore fighting with a gas one, no noise, don't stink like exhaust either.
Then why is the rack full of gas powered line trimmer at the local Stihl dealer? If you want to trim a little grass they may be OK but get into heavy stuff they do not cut it, just bend it over. Been there done that. Don't have to worry about the battery catching fire either like it did on the ship full of high dollar sport cars that ended up sinking a few years ago. Ask VW about being sued over those fancy batteries. The gas line trimmer is alive and doing very well.

The battery tools have their place. People of smaller stature find the electrics to be a real good option. My wife bought herself an electric Stihl blower and trimmer and really likes them. I do too because I'm not having to get things ready for her to use when she gets the urge do something. The blower stays right beside the front door in the winter.

I'm almost thinking Eric got it for just something to playing with not necessarily to use it.
Correct Bill, thats exactly what I got it for… and to try and sell it to make a couple extra bucks. It wants to run, so I’m not necessarily givin up on it yet. If the new gas and oil does not work though, I will likely do what my stepdad and @fherter said…. Throw it in the dumpster, or put it out front for someone else to mess with because it would cost me more than its worth.

Back