‘04 Frame Rot

Hehe. Here on PEI, between the brine and salt and sand that go on the roads for five to six months out of the year, there are 2011/12 vehicles that have holes in the rear fenders and the rocker panels are gone. You could put your hand in the holes. Not to mention the underside. Terrible how vehicles rust away. One fella here had the frame rust away so bad that it would not pass vehicle inspection. And it was only 5 to 6 years old.

Noel

Hehe. Here on PEI, between the brine and salt and sand that go on the roads for five to six months out of the year, there are 2011/12 vehicles that have holes in the rear fenders and the rocker panels are gone. You could put your hand in the holes. Not to mention the underside. Terrible how vehicles rust away. One fella here had the frame rust away so bad that it would not pass vehicle inspection. And it was only 5 to 6 years old.

Noel

Napa carries TONY,,same as Fluid Film at a fraction of the cost. $130 for 5 gallons. Most folks procrastinate on spraying until its too late. Must suck to pay all that money for a vehicle only to see the body dissolve 5 years down the road.

Me too. I just get rid of then every 3 to 4 years so I dont have to deal with rust and mechanical issues that cost me money.
If you can do that, then it's great. My lowest mileage vehicle is st 144K. I may have to spend 200, 300, maybe 500 per year for repairs, but it beats a car payment or a large lump sum out for a different one every few yrs.....and right now being unemployed, not going to get a decent car I can afford anyway, just stick with the ones I know.

I just checked out a 2011 F250, an IDOT truck that one IDOT yard was done with and another was considering using.
While it was better than the 2008 f250 they brought me 2 months ago, the bed was still shot. Passenger side bed separated from the wheel wells, bed cross braces crumbling, bottoms of front fender doglegs Swiss cheese, it was shot. This yard has an 89 Chevy c25 "3+3" (crew cab) that, body and frame wise, is in better shape than either of these newer Ford's, but they have been trying to rid themselves of the Chevy since I can remember. These are traffic guys, responsible for all the signage you see on the state roads and interstates, and typically doesn't see much use in winter, spends a lot of time in the building. The Chevy has it's quirks, but compared to what this yard has been offered so far as a replacement, nothing has been as solid of a truck and nowhere near as good of shape as what they want to be rid of.

Yeah we pretty much deal with the beaters too. Wife's '06 Yukon is the newest at about 134,000 now. I've got a '95 Camry (it was free so give me a break---LOL!) for when the weather is too cold for the '55 or '72 GMCs. I so far since I only live 1.7 miles from work, I've always been able to get to work with the old Camry, and sometimes when I'm on call, I bring home a company 4x4.

DAC

Yeah we pretty much deal with the beaters too. Wife's '06 Yukon is the newest at about 134,000 now. I've got a '95 Camry (it was free so give me a break---LOL!) for when the weather is too cold for the '55 or '72 GMCs. I so far since I only live 1.7 miles from work, I've always been able to get to work with the old Camry, and sometimes when I'm on call, I bring home a company 4x4.

DAC

Camry will out live anything on the lot. We had a '86 that I sold at 400K, and no issues. My wife '08 Camry has only had brakes and a CV replaced since new.
I think this copper Cobra would be quite rust resistant.. was featured on BJ auction,,How great would any truck look in all polished copper!

Camry will out live anything on the lot. We had a '86 that I sold at 400K, and no issues. My wife '08 Camry has only had brakes and a CV replaced since new.
I think this copper Cobra would be quite rust resistant.. was featured on BJ auction,,How great would any truck look in all polished copper!

I don't think the Camry is going to outlast my 65 year old GMC! It's a beater but keeps on going! Of course the Camry is a beater too, and it's sure a lot easier to scrape the windows than my trucks!

That Cobra is a beauty, but don't copper turn green?---LOL! If I had 50 grand or so to dump into my '70 GMC jimmy I could probably get $125,000 out of it like a Blazer they sold Saturday! Blazers, Jimmy's, Broncos and even 4x4 pickups are bringing some big money!

DAC

Last edited:
What would it take to put a whole frame into your truck? Isn't that the same frame up through 2018? Otherwise, I think your going to keep patching different parts of the underside.

I switched over to a rust converter
image.jpg
and am happy with the results. I will wait until late spring or early summer before I paint the underside. The shed where my truck resides is a dirt floor, and gets moisture in the spring thaw. It’s where the rust is coming from.
Also, it’s anniversary time. For the truck. It was bought on Valentine’s Day of 2004, delivered on the last day of the month. Only reason that is noteworthy? The truck has a separate’Annual Log’ odometer, that I reset each year around now. In the last year, I drove the truck 1,998 miles. Or as the kids call it, the Big Blue Truck Truck.

I switched over to a rust converter
View attachment 23031
and am happy with the results. I will wait until late spring or early summer before I paint the underside. The shed where my truck resides is a dirt floor, and gets moisture in the spring thaw. It’s where the rust is coming from.
Also, it’s anniversary time. For the truck. It was bought on Valentine’s Day of 2004, delivered on the last day of the month. Only reason that is noteworthy? The truck has a separate’Annual Log’ odometer, that I reset each year around now. In the last year, I drove the truck 1,998 miles. Or as the kids call it, the Big Blue Truck Truck.

Lay vapour barrier on floor to eliminate the moisture coming up from ground. I do this to keep moisture out of my wigwam where I store my old truck. The vapour barrier I use is called Stegawrap,,,very durable. Its yellow in colour.IMG_2639.JPG

Good looking truck Cat. I've been wanting an early model Chevy lately. I like the early 2000's & especially your color. Your frame at least from the pics doesn't look that bad like some I've seen & owned.

The end goal is to remove the box and build a flatbed.
I have stockpiled enough c-channnel to go around the perimeter. I have one piece long enough of larger stock for one main runner. I have enough square tube to do 1/4 of the crossmembers. So if I sold the box, the out of pocket cost wouldn’t be horrible.
I can re-use the tube hitch receiver and the trailer plug. I would need lights and flooring.

Has anyone had any experience with rumber? Boards made from shredded tires?

View attachment 21838

There are 4'x4' panels(about an inch thick) made from recycled tires. I saw for first time last year as house down the road using them to build a walkway around his home.

Back