‘04 Frame Rot

It’s weird, the top and mid body lines are inline, but not the bottom.

Well, round 2 I thought.
Nope.
I cleared out the garage to have another go at it. The frame rails look better, so I got more rust converter and was going to after the spots I missed.
Step 1, remove spare tire. The cable system for the spare finally gave up the ghost.
Step 1A, cut out the spare tire. Realize spare is flat.
Step 1B, fix flat spare. Bad valve stem. Used HF bead breaker with success, no spare stems on hand.
Step 1C, run to town.
Spare is now holding for 2 hours, should be okay.
Got a little converter slepped on the support rails of the box and the support tubes that connect the frame rails.
image.jpg
One of the spots that turned out decent from the last go around, right rear wheel well.
Now to figure out how to remount the spare. New cable system, allthread ready rod, use a wall anchor rod and bearing plate, or just wire it to the grill, old school style.

Bite the bullet and get the right part. It would be nice if they would make a way to lube them. Just have to let the spare down once a year and oil it heavy. A light coat of grease on the cable doesn't seem to hurt either.

Bite the bullet and get the right part. It would be nice if they would make a way to lube them. Just have to let the spare down once a year and oil it heavy. A light coat of grease on the cable doesn't seem to hurt either.
Used spAre wheel winches on EBay. I oil mine annually. Such a slick spAre holder and if maintained your spare will be there when you need it. Friend lost his spare when cable rotted off

even oiling once a year ended up not being enough. A replacement is more reasonable than I was expecting. $38.

I've got two of them that have never been lowered as far as I can tell. 15 and 23 years old. I sure hope AAA knows how to get them down because I'm not messing with them. Check the air pressure once in awhile and that's it.

Got the new spare ratchet in last weekend, and cleaned, sanded, primed and painted above and around it before I mounted the spare.
Tomorrow I need another hour or two underneath priming and then it’s ready for paint.
Rolling on a bed liner tomorrow, also. I plan on going down an inch on the side rails due to spots from when it used to have a topper in it.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Painted the factory rims also. (Quick and dirty)
image.jpgimage.jpg

They will need to be touched up when I get new tires.

According to the instructions, the longer cure time is because of low humidity. (40% currently)
I grew impatient and got in there. All done.

25A5848E-509C-4099-B659-AA066911B24D.jpeg098E3764-0D0E-473D-B10E-B4349B5C4D0E.jpeg

Did about half the painting on the underside today. Starting to look respectable again under there.
I also replaced the tailgate cables. They were almost done for.
E88D70F5-4A28-42E6-B6D3-1EA326DCE704.jpeg
As seen in this pic, I have the power extending towing mirrors. I had to take the driver’s side off again, it would not extend out. This time, cleaning and lubing didn’t work. It wants to go, but just clicks and grinds and hums. Replacement is $350-$400. Replaced with real towing mirrors with power fold and convex mirrors would be $5-$600.
E5E404BE-2530-423E-A61B-C13524AD71D3.jpeg
Cheaper than one payment for a new truck, I guess.....
There are several styles, black, chrome, paint to match. Those above telescope out a few inches, manually. The function to make my mirrors extend would make those fold in like what’s on the new trucks. They have heated glass and turn signals built in, also. Still debating,
Every year I keep this one going is saving me from making payments on a new one. If I replaced this, the only thing I would change is to go to a regular cab long box.

Had to help brother replace the rear brake line on his 2002 Chebby 1/2 ton just Friday. When he is here he's 2 hours from his home and he had a loaded 20 foot trailer on it at the time. 421,000 and never had a valve cover, timing cover, or oil pan off. He still says its going to 500,000 before he replaces it but that is starting to look very doubtful. Tranny went at 350,000 on the money and rear end about 365,000. 2 alternators, one starter and a fuel pump or two is all its needed. We had to remove the bed as the brake line was on top of the frame and with the fuel tank there it wasn't accessible. Of course I'd have removed each end and ran the new line wherever I could but he wanted it "factory". His has the tiny 4 point something V8. The guy at the local junkyard told him he'd give him a free engine if he ever needed it. Can't give that engine away but the 5.3 has a waiting list and big endless demand. His smokes some, knocks some, misses some. Has for quite some time, and still runs right down the road. If he needed to make a run to northeast Ohio or AridZona tomorrow he'd not think twice about taking it.
Mama might have dropped him on his head when he was a youngin'.

My neighbor wants mine so he can put the motor in a ‘61 Imp. I told him to shop for a 5.3, he said ‘try finding one’.
Saw a ‘05 or ‘06 today with the tow mirrors with chrome. I think I want the black ones.

New shoes today. Falken Wildpeak A/T3 W’s.
CA792BD7-991F-42DE-918F-427E111C3ED2.jpegimage.jpg

I had highway tread tires on there before. I drive it so little, that I don’t mind a little noise and losing a 1/2-1 mpg. Went from from 245/75/16 to a 235/85/16. Little more bite in the snow. Since I changed size, I replaced all 5. When I replaced the originals at 58,000, I went to 285/75/16’s, but just the four on the pavement. Lucky I never had an issue.
The size change means my speedo is off by 2 mph at 70.

Back