‘04 Frame Rot

Hankook Dynapro AT3’s were another $14 per tire, with 5,000 miles more treadlife warranty. My FIL put Hankooks on his ‘07 1500, they ride like they belong on a grain truck.

54 miles of highway travel this morning. Light rain, wet roads, 65-80 mph. No issues with traction, I could not get them to break loose. Noise is barely noticeable until I drove thru a couple of tunnels, then I noticed. Tire hum at 75 is about as loud as the 6.0. Quieter than I was expecting.
Going from 245/75’s down to (up to?) 235/85’s does affect the ability to corner. The first tunnel is a curve that gets tighter as it ends. I had to back off over 10 mph compared to my previous ‘pushing it a bit’ speed. Probably a bit being wet roads, and most of it going from a highway tire to an all terrain one that is taller.

They pull in the mud better than Goodyear Duratracs. Found that out, along with the factory mudflaps on newer trucks suck.

I haven't had much luck with Goodyears off road. Great on road tires, lousy in the dirt.
The factory tires on the ‘07-‘09 1500’s were a great highway tire. Goodyear ST-A’s. Wore like iron. Then they changed something in the next ones and they were nothing special.
The wife and daughter’s summer tires are all Goodyears.

Last Sunday I used the truck to move a project from the shed to the garage and back. When I stopped on the gravel, the left front locked up. Jacked it up, looks like I need wheel hub. Tie rod end on the passenger side also looked suspect.
Hub seems straightforward, not sure what the tie rod end entails. More YouTube research.
Ordered a Timken for the hub. It seems everything is made in China now.

Where from? My son just ordered 4 hub bearings from rock auto, 2 for his Ram 2500 and 2 for the daughter in law's Yukon from rock auto, the ones he got for the Dodge were Timken and the ones for the Yukon were SKF brand, all claimed made in USA on their boxes.

I'm glad your wheel decided to freeze up while you were at home and not going down the interstate at 80 mph. That could have been bad in a big way.
Drove my 97 F150 to town last week and it started rumbling on the way home. When I got out I could smell hot brakes. After carefully checking, the right front caliper was sticking. $62.oo later everything is good again. Very easy to change. Now if the shift forks will be that easy.

When the SKF salesman used to come to the mine he had told me they have like 150 locations worldwide. Several of which are in the United States. It would be much like playing the lottery to which country of origin you got.

We used to use SKF and FAG bearings pretty much exclusively. Honestly we experienced more early failures with Timken brand. These were all 10" ID and above bearings in a harsh environment. 90% of time the bearings housings were coated in mud and water. Not really anyway to stop that.

Don, I ordered from Amazon. $24 cheaper than Rock Auto, $85 cheaper than O’Reilly. Most of the reviews from the Amazon Timken hub report made in the USA, some say China and have pics as proof. I guess I roll the dice.
Chris, I got lucky. Even luckier, I don’t need to drive it. After analyzing the situation once again, I am going to continue with a high mpg car for work and this truck for ‘when needed’. Fuel savings are over $1,500 a year w/gas @ $3/gallon. That easily covers insurance, license, and a few payments on a second vehicle. It also helps that I really like this truck. It’s the only motor vehicle, aside from a motorcycle, that I bought new.
My neighbor has done a lot a vehicle swapping the last year. He just replaced a ‘16 1/2 ton with a ‘15 2500HD. He found a Duramax with only 60,000 on it. Black on black. Beautiful truck. But the blue truck truck still gets the job done here.

Attachments

• C8812339-DEFC-40FA-9C52-2D2CFD69EA4D.jpeg
    C8812339-DEFC-40FA-9C52-2D2CFD69EA4D.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 17
If you haven't already, Cat, you should replace both hubs at the same time. On my wife's '06 Denali, I cheaped out and just replaced the bad one. 2 months later the other went out. One of the only parts I got locally that wasn't highway robbery. O'Reilly's at 130 bucks each.

DAC

The truck has been seeing a lot more use this year. I just had to change the oil. Not by calendar, but by mileage. First time in 10 years that has happened.
Getting 14.5-15 mpg, no issues.
Had to replace another headlamp bulb in my Cruze this week. That makes 3 on that car, 2016, 120,000 miles. My former work car (Aveo) was also eating a bulb every 6 months.
This truck has all original bulbs on the front end. Two tail lamp bulbs and both license plate lights have been replaced. I’m gonna be pissy for days if I ever lose a headlamp bulb, I love the factory headlights. Not glaring, doesn’t blind oncoming like the ‘08 and up models, and doesn’t have a beam pattern that lights up the top of power poles.
I’m going to replace the factory stereo and speakers. Nothing over the top, no amp, no sub. Just want better sound, and have Apple CarPlay. Due to work, there are days I’m constantly on the phone. It is illegal to talk on the phone while driving in Minnesota unless it’s hands-free or one button push to talk.
But
With the chip shortage, aftermarket digital media receivers are out of stock. So I wait.
Truck will be replaced June of 2023, is my current plan.
F961A52B-CAE7-4572-B825-AB34EACB8E76.jpeg

Not glaring, doesn’t blind oncoming like the ‘08 and up models, and doesn’t have a beam pattern that lights up the top of power poles.
Don't cha just love those annoying blue headlights.
Looking forward to seeing that new truck!

Night vision glasses and they don't bother one bit. Can see detain much better also. Under $10 at WalMart.

What is that in the picture ? ? ?

Back