10x20 tent garage

IHCubCadet147

Tractorologist
We we’re going to put a 12x20 addition on the garage, then the price of lumber went crazy, so that will have to wait. Then I started collecting pallets to build it with. In the fall I leveled a spot and laid out some pallets for the floor, then it got cold so I stopped. I still may build it that way if lumber doesn’t come back down soon enough. In the meantime, I needed to get some stuff out of the garage immediately, so I put up a cheap 10x20 tent garage on that floor. Monday night I built the frame for the roof, then last night I put the rest of it together. I just have to get a few pieces of plywood for the floor, and figure out some kind of ramp to get in, then it will be done. It’s not the best quality, but for what I paid if it lasts a year I’ll be happy. I would like to build something more permanent before winter anyway.
7876C389-D0A0-46B7-805E-B126A5895E47.jpeg076215CE-9B1C-49C7-AF98-D90343E2F256.jpegB95AEB96-98A3-4E15-B84C-92F84D0DA430.jpeg4F16C5B8-DEB7-4AF5-83A0-235E842E7B60.jpeg25F1DDA8-C51F-4B03-B227-AC204E70379E.jpeg

Back when cattle coral panels were cheap, we picked up 12 of them. These are the wall now to the tractor shed. Every 2 years, I just toss on a new trap over the old one(s). LOL Cheaper in the long run when priced at a 20 year use. 12x16

That lumber isn't there anymore. And to the right, I added another 2 panels and made a lean-to to store all the outside garden tools.

This design is proven already to withstand 8-inches of heavy wet snow.

Those holes on the back wall were from the top panels. I fixed that with pool noodles cut with a slit and placed over the end of those panels.

DSCF6766md.jpg

Use 6 30” stakes to anchor wigwam. Those stakes they come with are just for set up. Wind can easily lift and send your wigwam to the next county.
I used lag bolts through the base into the pallets, and a rope in each corner tied to the pallets. I don’t think it’s going anywhere.

I have the same one, mine made it 3 years then I had to buy a 20x24 tarp to cover it as top started looking worn.
I was thinking when the tarp rips, I could use the frame and build onto it with the pallets.
I had the same one, lasted two years, until an ice storm put 2" of ice on top, and broke the frame. Probably still be standing if I had reinforced it with a few wood stringers.
I was thinking about something like that to reinforce it.

Had a friend with a small motor home he wanted to cover. He bought one of those small tarp sheds and I put it up for him. Planted a treated 4" x 4" about 2' deep for each leg. Then ran tie wire up each leg from the post to the roof framing. Tie wire X between verticals to prevent racking. That served for several years but even with partial shade the UV finally got it. The frame never failed. The easy part of that process was leveling. Just plant the post then cut the tops off level and flat.
Don

Nice. Always nice to have a place to put the hobby out of the weather. We had two of those for years that we kept the tractors and GTs in before we were able to afford building our 30' x 40' garage. Then we outgrew that and built a 16' x 26' leanto shed for more items. Here in northern Michigan we get a lot of wet snow and they do not do well in those conditions and we were constantly having to brace them up so they would not collapse. Glad we were able to build a permanent building.
Looks like you are making them very well built and ready for the weather. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.

We we’re going to put a 12x20 addition on the garage, then the price of lumber went crazy, so that will have to wait. Then I started collecting pallets to build it with. In the fall I leveled a spot and laid out some pallets for the floor, then it got cold so I stopped. I still may build it that way if lumber doesn’t come back down soon enough. In the meantime, I needed to get some stuff out of the garage immediately, so I put up a cheap 10x20 tent garage on that floor. Monday night I built the frame for the roof, then last night I put the rest of it together. I just have to get a few pieces of plywood for the floor, and figure out some kind of ramp to get in, then it will be done. It’s not the best quality, but for what I paid if it lasts a year I’ll be happy. I would like to build something more permanent before winter anyway.
View attachment 51040View attachment 51041View attachment 51042View attachment 51043View attachment 51044
How is the canopy shed holding up?

If funds provide into next summer, I'll be replacing mine with a 20ft sea container. The old tarps are just that, old. LOL

And over the past few years, I kept ADDING additions to it. LOL

20230624_170121.jpg

I recently had to pull most of the stuff out, rake all the leaves out, repair the block supports and board lifts. So, this shot taken is very CLEAN looking. :D

Going to something like this would prove to be ideal. The snow load on the make-shift tarp flexes over a foot now. The 20ft sea container will not droop. Another Yanmar owner has this setup for a 20ft container.

future - 20x8x9 sea container.jpg

Last edited:
We brought in a 20 container last summer. Set it on concrete cap blocks leveled with a transit. Set standard block around it to keep the critters out from under it as it is on sloping ground. With nothing but shelves on both side it settled in about 2 inches already. I would highly recommend putting down a good layer of 2" rock leveled to set it on to keep it from settling and the doors not wanting to open.

How is the canopy shed holding up?

If funds provide into next summer, I'll be replacing mine with a 20ft sea container. The old tarps are just that, old. LOL

And over the past few years, I kept ADDING additions to it. LOL

View attachment 77031

I recently had to pull most of the stuff out, rake all the leaves out, repair the block supports and board lifts. So, this shot taken is very CLEAN looking. :D

Going to something like this would prove to be ideal. The snow load on the make-shift tarp flexes over a foot now. The 20ft sea container will not droop. Another Yanmar owner has this setup for a 20ft container.

View attachment 77032
So far it’s holding up ok. The roof is getting thin in spots, and I accidentally put a few small holes in it knocking snow off last winter, oops. Nothing a little gorilla tape couldn’t fix, but I will probably have to put another tarp over it soon. A shipping container would be perfect, but there is no way to easily get one behind the garage, and we don’t have any other good places to put one.
59D1E689-0398-47A7-AB1E-9F7809A459F4.jpegF6E1A0F9-02F6-425D-A61C-E651E47DF33A.jpegE8FC1E15-5B88-42B3-844B-A25460FE22FA.jpeg9B65D19C-65A7-4483-9118-448D73390375.jpeg

Last edited:
So far it’s holding up ok. The roof is getting thin in spots, and I accidentally put a few small holes in it knocking snow off last winter, oops. Nothing a little gorilla tape couldn’t fix, but I will probably have to put another tarp over it soon. A shipping container would be perfect, but there is no way to easily get one behind the garage, and we don’t have any other good places to put one.
View attachment 77091View attachment 77092View attachment 77093View attachment 77094
One of the grommets that the straps go through ripped out of the tarp in the heavy wind yesterday. Easy enough to fix, I just put a new one in a little below that and it’s all good now. There are some others that look like they are going to do the same thing soon too.

Attachments

• 46AD9950-C9A1-4FAD-8405-8A5800A5F4D4.jpeg
    46AD9950-C9A1-4FAD-8405-8A5800A5F4D4.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 2B04A415-1EE1-4629-BA22-9B6C11716F49.jpeg
    2B04A415-1EE1-4629-BA22-9B6C11716F49.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4
Back