149 cub cadet pto issues

Glgrumpy

Have cub with front belt pto. Might be 74 or close? No cub manuals here and can't find just tractor on old site. My issue is trying to update clutch with missing parts??I got a big disc for on moving lever with pad to engage. I was told I take off the button on it now on engine and put on this little plate guy gave me for disc to push on. I was told by button and snap ring was there and needed to hold on this metal disc. Wavy washer too. Right now I'm not seeing that. The button seems to be held on by 3 flat metal fingers with philips head screws. Then some sort of thin spring like parts behind it. Those screws have nuts on inside of clutch you can't reach on tractor. SO, I'm thinking the front half of clutch comes off. Three holes in outside edge look like set-screws, yet not seeing them in there. The back part has also and does have set-screws. I have those out. Nothing is loose on crank of engine yet. Are these hard to get off? What am I supposed to be doing? Was thinking of removing entire clutch and de-rusting it and see what it's about. I can't even find a parts manual to see what's there. No repair manual found yet. Finally got deck mounted and other small items, then this holding me up now. I get all the hard stuff all the time.

The 3 Allen set screws if as should be, there are another 3 under those. The outer ones just lock the inner ones in place. The inner 3 are pointed to lock the pointy ends behind the clutch bearing on crank. Once you get all 6 out, then with a little effort the clutch will come off.

I don't know, but it might help us to have the model number.
It's there. Cub cadet 149.

They made those around '71-74ish, the 1200,1250,1450 etc series replaced the 1x9 series.
The 1x8 were the same machine as the 1x9 except the 1x8 were gear trans, 1x9 were hydro. I have a 129 myself I have the engine apart on. Difference in 129 and 149 is 12 hp, 14hp otherwise same machine.
I took need to get a PTO clutch rebuild kit for mine to go along with the fresh engine.
Those things that look like set screws, are.
There should be 2 in each hole for a total of 6. A pointy one on bottom, a flat tipped one on top of that as a "lock screw". Need a long Allen socket to access. I believe 3/16". I liked the manual clutch of the 1x8/1x9 series better than the electric PTO clutch of the 1250,1450 etc. Though they occasionally need attention paid to them.

I'm trying to replace center button with big plate on front to rub another plate disc on lever. I was told a wavy washer and snap ring needed to hold it on. Looks like could slip over button, but no groove for ring. It's all mashed up.

Attachments

• 20230609_132754.jpg
    20230609_132754.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 3
I'll try that manual page, thanks for that.
I clicked on this and it gave warning on Peter. I pushed allow and it locked me up with number to call to turn on again. Mouse wouldn't work....hmmm! I shut it off. Hope that works.

OK, back on here for test. I restarted computer and it seems to be fine with no blocking. Hope so.

Last edited:
Back