1949 Farmall c spark issue

KillerSearsPuller

So I’ve got a 1949 farmall c. Last September I put points, condenser, and coil on it. Since this has a magneto it is a little hard to find parts. The last three times I have ran it, it will start up fine and run all day until I shut it off and go to start it up again. This happened too before I put a new coil and condenser on it last year, and that seemed to be the problem, but it started doing it again. It’s getting plenty of fuel. I’m stumped and figured one of you guys might know.

Bryce

My '48 Cub would do that when it'd been worked hard. It ended up needing a new coil. I suspect your year old coil is already failing.

I'd try replacing the condenser first because they're relatively inexpensive, but I bet you end up putting in another coil.

Yeah I'd say the coil too. Been that route a few times over the last 5+ years and what I've found is don't buy the cheap ignition parts for these magnetos. The places that list the parts by the IH number and then have a GV added to the end are cheap aftermarket and I've had a lot of bad luck with them. Most of the mag parts I get come from Steiner tractor parts or Marks magneto in CT. Marks will also rebuild yours or swap you a rebuilt one for your old one

My '48 Cub would do that when it'd been worked hard. It ended up needing a new coil. I suspect your year old coil is already failing.

I'd try replacing the condenser first because they're relatively inexpensive, but I bet you end up putting in another coil.
I’m also gonna put a new cap that goes on top of the coil too since it has seen better days.

That's not good. I now nothing about magnetos, but that's letting water in.

Noel

Back