1994 Chevy c1500

IHCubCadet147

Tractorologist
I just bought this yesterday. I have always liked this truck, never thought I would own it. It belonged to a customer and friend of ours, Walt. Unfortunately he passed away a few months ago. It was his pride and joy, and probably one of the nicest 28 year old trucks around. Never driven in the snow, he would put it away for the winter and drive his Cadillac. It has just over 91,000 miles on it. Not a spot of rust on the body, and just light surface rust on the frame. The interior is nice. It has a 350 and 5 speed manual transmission. He had a brand new motor and clutch put in at 88,000 in 2016. Nothing really wrong with the original, it had a miss that they couldn’t figure out. That’s just how meticulous he was.

My dad and grandpa did all the body work since he owned it. My dad used to buff it twice a year. They painted the whole thing about 15 years ago. Last summer me and my dad redid the hood and roof since the clear was going bad. The drivers door and bedside are starting to go too so they will also get repainted in the near future. About 5 years ago, we put the purple stripes and 4x2 decals on it. He had gold before, which I may go back to, not sure yet
They are starting to fade and peel on the drivers side too, and need to be redone. The passenger side is still good since that didn’t get as much sun. Our friend Chris has done all of the mechanical work on it, so between his shop and ours, we have been taking care of this truck since it was new.

Nobody in the family wanted it, and his wife doesn’t know how to drive a stick. She had someone from New York interested, a friend of a relative, but she thought the deal sounded kind of shady. She stopped to get my dads opinion about it and he mentioned that I might be interested. She immediately called them back and said the deal was off. The other guy probably just wanted it to flip since she wasn’t asking much for it. It’s almost like it’s staying in the family. Our shop is 3 blocks from their house, so she can still see it everyday when she goes by. She was so happy that we were getting it, and she said Walt would be too.

First thing, it needs to be washed, buffed, and waxed, and the stripes on the drivers side replaced. I also never drove a stick, so I have to learn that. I did take it up and down the road a few times, and didn’t have too much trouble. But I need a little more practice before I can start driving it everyday. My dad drove it home. We have a mile long dirt road with some hills, if I can drive it in and out of there, I can drive it anywhere.
38F8DC51-6115-4027-AE35-5C9664CC1B6C.jpeg859553AF-3C20-4C0E-B0F3-F74D65965386.jpeg56275E71-727C-42A9-98EF-DCECBF464341.jpeg521E0855-44DE-4A8E-8AF9-80D87671470C.jpeg524B9182-C7C8-4696-9006-5EF236EEBBB1.jpegAA59AD2E-2B7C-4770-8EAD-061BE0E785D2.jpegD1A8B629-3AC4-44B7-B51A-4DF7F77F4148.jpegF58CB52F-485D-404A-A31B-AEB8C432C15A.jpeg

you don’t see a rust free Chevy truck around here at all! My dads work had an early 90s regular cab long bed. 350 auto 2 wheel drive. It went many miles before the frame rotted in two.

Good truck to learn to drive a stick. 350 had enough torque and they are geared low enough they are almost impossible to stall.

What a great truck, Cub! Learn that clutch and enjoy! Very cool you know the history and the family since new. Very hard to find a truck like that!

I learned to drive a stick in 1973. I got a job at a racecar shop when I was 16. The shop manager took me across town one day the first week I was there to an alignment shop. He pointed at a 1955 International with 3 on the tree in the parking lot. He said "drive that back to the shop", then he left. I was terrified but made it back the on the 8 mile drive with hills, only killing it once! I ended up buying that truck as my first pickup!

DAC

you don’t see a rust free Chevy truck around here at all! My dads work had an early 90s regular cab long bed. 350 auto 2 wheel drive. It went many miles before the frame rotted in two.

Good truck to learn to drive a stick. 350 had enough torque and they are geared low enough they are almost impossible to stall.
There’s not many rust free trucks of any kind around here, although these ones don’t seem to rot as bad as the body style after them. I stalled it a couple times at first, but I’m getting pretty good now.
I had a '94 2500 2WD, 350 w/ auto. I called it a light duty 3/4ton because it didn't have floating axles. It was a mighty fine truck. Only thing I had to fix was the intake gasket started leaking oil out the back.
Everyone I know who has or had one of these trucks seems to like them. We have a 99 K2500 for our plow truck, which I have been driving. It has its issues, but that’s to be expected on an old truck. It’s pretty reliable for the most part. I really think these are one of the best, if not the best trucks anyone ever made. Definitely one of my favorites.
What a great truck, Cub! Learn that clutch and enjoy! Very cool you know the history and the family since new. Very hard to find a truck like that!

I learned to drive a stick in 1973. I got a job at a racecar shop when I was 16. The shop manager took me across town one day the first week I was there to an alignment shop. He pointed at a 1955 International with 3 on the tree in the parking lot. He said "drive that back to the shop", then he left. I was terrified but made it back the on the 8 mile drive with hills, only killing it once! I ended up buying that truck as my first pickup!

DAC
Thanks. It was a once in a lifetime deal. That kind of sounds like how my dad learned when he was about 10. His dad had a Scout. He just helped get him started, then jumped out and let him figure out the rest on his own.

The OBS are my favorites right behind square bodies. Nice clean truck, the 5 speeds are becoming rarer if you even find one.
I have a 99 OBS Tahoe, the frame is pretty rusty, just starting to see some wheel well rust popping through.

Nice truck. Once you learn the standard. You’ll never forget how to drive one in your life time.

Noel
I’ve got it down pretty good now. I made it to work and back yesterday without much trouble, a half hour each way. Only stalled it once, and that was before I even got out of the driveway.
The OBS are my favorites right behind square bodies. Nice clean truck, the 5 speeds are becoming rarer if you even find one.
I have a 99 OBS Tahoe, the frame is pretty rusty, just starting to see some wheel well rust popping through.
I like the square bodies too, always wanted one.
Sweet truck! Always cool to get one complete with backstory and history!
Thanks!

I learned to drive and got my license on an auto but took drivers ed and that was a 57 ford with 3 on the tree and my first car was standard shift. I only ever bought on new car with auto before they quit putting sticks in them. My 99 NBS pickup is 5 speed and still driving it. I lot of times while driving my Yukon I will stab for the clutch.

Wow, what a score, and what a touching backstory!
Walt is be looking down, and very happy his truck is in good hands, i am sure!

:thumbs:

(We still have our 1997 K2500, but it's an auto, and has a split-personality: good condition up top, and a rust bucket down below...that's what 25 years of winter salt will do! :) )

Wow, what a score, and what a touching backstory!
Walt is be looking down, and very happy his truck is in good hands, i am sure!

:thumbs:

(We still have our 1997 K2500, but it's an auto, and has a split-personality: good condition up top, and a rust bucket down below...that's what 25 years of winter salt will do! :) )
Thanks! I’m sure he would be thrilled to know I got it and its being taken good care of. Your truck sounds like the opposite of our 99, the body is falling apart, but the frame is nice for its age.

I never posted any more pictures after I got it cleaned up. I gave it a coat of spray wax, and polished all of the chrome, and it looks much better. The whole thing needs to be buffed, then a good coat of wax. I plan to do some work on it over the winter, mostly cosmetic. Probably paint the whole drivers side, new pinstripes, a few moldings are coming loose, etc. Paint the frame. The headliner is sagging, I want to find someone to fix it or replace it.

It already left me stranded once too. I went to shift to 3rd one time, and it just died. Ended up being the ignition module, which I hear is common on these. $30 part which only took like 20 minutes to change, but a $110 towing bill. A few people have told me to keep a spare in the glovebox.
386C9C8A-E726-467F-A5B1-C715355FCF32.jpeg9220D220-3A90-486D-A41D-63C291AA6CF1.jpeg6C5DEF6E-4F69-46E1-BD98-5BA84AC23F41.jpeg7161A133-C04D-464F-9C9C-5B15AB473413.jpeg549F7090-93C4-4E5E-BD5C-F59B31970C90.jpegA5CBB909-1780-493A-8628-19194686A8C4.jpeg6C1D6409-6E84-4064-8DEE-244131F831EC.jpeg81EECC19-5679-41BD-B6B1-7D3BBFA8F427.jpeg

Nice looking Chevy for sure. Dodge truck in about 1973 yewar range used a ballast resistor for the ignition system. They wewre known to go aout an any time. State bought a ton of dodges that year and had a lot of issues with it. Dispatcher sent out one unit to keep on hand in case we needed it. Send the old one back in and get a new one. Went through 2 to 3 a year with that truck. Should have known - - trooper friend went with m,e to pick it up new. When he opened the passengers door it about fell off. One bolt in the bottom hinge and none in the top. We got a different truck.

Nice looking Chevy for sure. Dodge truck in about 1973 yewar range used a ballast resistor for the ignition system. They wewre known to go aout an any time. State bought a ton of dodges that year and had a lot of issues with it. Dispatcher sent out one unit to keep on hand in case we needed it. Send the old one back in and get a new one. Went through 2 to 3 a year with that truck. Should have known - - trooper friend went with m,e to pick it up new. When he opened the passengers door it about fell off. One bolt in the bottom hinge and none in the top. We got a different truck.
Thanks. That sounds about right for a Dodge. ;)

Back