3 point Bar Mower

chieffan

Tractorologist
All the 3 point bar mowers I have seen are to run with a clockwise PTO shaft. Why can they not br run with a counter clockwise PTO? The cycle would still move back and forth. Don't think a wobble box direction of rotation would make any difference.. Reason for asking is my Sotah Bevaer CUT has a 2 speed PTO but it runs counter clockwise. Requires a revers-er attachment for most PTO drive equipment. But would it make a difference on an older bar mower ? ?

I kind of thought about that as an after thought. Shouldn't be to hard to change that though. Need to find a bar mower first I guess, at least one that don't need a total rebuild.

I think a lot of the older bar mowers have the crankshaft right at the PTO shaft so a belt tensioner might not be an issue.

I've got a Sitrex bar mower that has a belt driven wobble box at the head so it can be run at any angle. The belts on that are tensioned by moving the sheaves apart so there isn't an idler that would be an issue if run backward.

I think a lot of the older bar mowers have the crankshaft right at the PTO shaft so a belt tensioner might not be an issue.

I've got a Sitrex bar mower that has a belt driven wobble box at the head so it can be run at any angle. The belts on that are tensioned by moving the sheaves apart so there isn't an idler that would be an issue if run backward.
I would want one with the wobble box on the end of the PTO, Pittman stick to drive the sickle. I can borrow a good IH mower I used when haying but it has a 9' bar. That would be to much for a 15hp CUT .Ideally would be a 6' bar. Would even consider a pull type just not as handy.

Back