5 acres to plow and Seagulls

Cvans

Tractorologist
Had a cardiologist appointment today so didn't get a lot done today. Got home around 3:30 and after changing and eating I didn't get outside till 5:30 pm. Finished picking up garbage from the road ditch and then hooked up the 2 bottom disc plow to the Fordson and headed to the 5 acre field that adjoins the yard. Last years crop was soybeans and I disced it last fall with a regular field disc to break up the residue left over from the harvest. Today it was time to disc plow it to turn over the residue and loosen up the subsoil. I prefer this to a moldboard plow as it does a better job of breaking up the soil and will not drag along straw or corn stalks. I'll go over it with a spring tooth drag and it will be ready to plant.
I managed to get about a 3rd of the field done before it cooled down to the point that I was getting chilled. I've notice that Seagulls have a way of knowing when the soil is being worked. After one round there were two Seagulls setting in the newly turned soil. Every time I made another round there were more. Buy the time I finished there must have been 50 of them picking up worms. How in the heck do they know someone is working the soil? Happens every time no matter what field is being worked.
IMG_0923.JPGIMG_0926.JPG

If you look closely you can see the gulls farther down the field. The second is looking down behind me at the disc plow. Afraid I'm not much of a photographer.

Finished up today after the second pass with the drag. Feels good to look out the living room window at a clean field. Last year I wasn’t up to doing it so the farmers did it for me. Takes them less than an hour to do it and they are next door working their land anyway. I’m betting they don’t enjoy it like I do.

Back