6hp Yanmar Diesel Pull Start

NUTNDUN

Tractorologist
Staff member
Administrator
Who wants to come over and help me get this thing running? It is a brand new old stock 3" trash pump setup. It's only ever been started a couple of times and the couple of people I talked to that started it said it felt like they were going to loose their arm.

It does have a compression release but it seems like it trips very quickly. I haven't really given much of a yank on it other than tinkering. I think I am going to remove the pump, change the oil because it seems like it is overfull and has fuel in it from sitting for so long. Could be a good repower project. Maybe put it in one of Dad's Bolens I still have or sell it.

Attachments

• Yanmar1.jpg
    Yanmar1.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Yanmar2.jpg
    Yanmar2.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Yanmar3.jpg
    Yanmar3.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 10
My son bought this 9 hp to put in his Sears Suburban. He got it installed but lost interest because he's broke to strings trying to start it. Similar to you, it seems to kick off the compression release very quick and snaps the pull cord back. There has got to be an easier way to pull it.

20210504_160939.jpg

Who wants to come over and help me get this thing running? It is a brand new old stock 3" trash pump setup. It's only ever been started a couple of times and the couple of people I talked to that started it said it felt like they were going to loose their arm.

It does have a compression release but it seems like it trips very quickly. I haven't really given much of a yank on it other than tinkering. I think I am going to remove the pump, change the oil because it seems like it is overfull and has fuel in it from sitting for so long. Could be a good repower project. Maybe put it in one of Dad's Bolens I still have or sell it.
What model and L series engine is in this Yanmar. I have ALL the manuals for it. :cool:

L70-EE. This is one of the reliable engines. L40 & L70 series.

Could be a good repower project. Maybe put it in one of Dad's Bolens I still have or sell it.
There is an electric start for the L70 & L100 engines for the gensets.

Read the OPS manual. Not only is the decompression needed, I bet there is something you need to do on the trash pump side as well. Then its an easy start. This engine should start with ease like a typical Lawn Boy mower.

I always wanted an engine like this. It would be an amazing diesel push more engine too. Just think, fill the tank once and push around several acres before the tank is empty. :cool:

Or in a genset of 9K or 12K ability. Run the genset for up to 3-days before refilling the diesel fuel. Yanmar engines are greatly known for sipping fuel and not guzzling.

It is a manual compression release. I don't have it showing in any of the pictures though. Just seems like it trips too easily.
BTW, use the RECOMMENDED oil for the engine. too thick will make it so hard to start and keep it running. These engines are built to JIS standards and NOT the SAE standards.

The internal passages are narrow in the JIS standards along with the mechanical pumping of the oil all around. And yes, this is the electric start model too. :)

1708791847946.png

Did I overwhelm you on all the info here. :p

If I had an engine like this, I would never sell it. It's a beast, engineered to work in all kinds of conditions, used in so many applications where normal power is not available.

If the engine is a bit loud, there are optional exhaust mufflers to tame it down more. It is normally fitted with the 72dB to 78dB muffler.

Back