76 Chevy Blazer

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I ordered this new. It was the first year for the metal cab with only a partial removable fiberglass top. Earlier versions the whole top came off. I installed a 4” lift kit, 36” tires, deep turbine aluminum wheels, 650 Holley carb, Edelbrock aluminum intake, aluminum valve covers, Crane cam, and Hooker headers. I also customized the interior with some black Diamond tuft vinyl accent panels against the factory wine red interior. Pioneer stereo with 6 Jensen speakers along with a Cobra CB. It was a head turner especially with the top off it looked like a miniature pickup.

I loved the truck. Sad part was about three years later rust started popping up over the wheel wells both front and rear. I had bought the rust proofing package with a five year warranty. They replaced the fender panels including the repair and paint labor. The guy at the body shop told me it had 73 fenders because of the knock out holes over the wheel wells to drain moisture but also allowed water to stay in. I was also told 73 was the first year Chevy used scrap metal from China to their body parts. My Dad bought a new 73 Chevy pickup fully loaded but same thing 3 years later it looked like it was dipped in rust everywhere on his truck.

I kept the truck for about 12 years then sold it to a young guy that wanted it bad for the drivetrain and chassis. He said he had a 57 Chevy pickup he wanted to convert. I see one of these original every now and then with the factory two tone metallic blue and white. I would love to have another one.
BF8E244E-BDB6-4E1A-8858-778440B3C54D.jpeg

Great looking Blazer, Jim! I had a '75 I bought from my sister who bought it new. That was back in the early 90's. Sold it to buy a Suburban when the kids were getting big enough where they needed to be separated sometimes. I wish I had that Blazer back. Those flat top wheel wells just didn't drain well by nature of the shape, chinese steel or not. The round wheel wells like the previous generation will rust everywhere but over the wheel wells---I have 2 of them. Some day the '70 Jimmy will be on the road again!

DAC

Back