A couple of "new" walk behinds I picked up recently

thom

Tractorologist
I found a couple of new walk-behind projects at the last two shows we attended. A 1954 Junior Chief one wheeler, and an also 1954 two wheel Planet Junior. The Jr Chief engine is missing the flywheel, flywheel cover, and rope start cup. The mounting plate that goes behind the flywheel was badly broken and partly missing , so I need it too. I'm sure I can locate the missing parts. The engines on both tractors are 6R6 gear reduction Briggs. I have already bought a new tire and tube for the Junior Chief.
The Planet Junior engine was "stuck" when I bought it at the last show. I watched several other semi-interested lookers check it out. Most were impressed that it was pretty much complete, even including a sickle mower, but the tires were shot and no-one could turn it by hand with the starter rope cup. I've had good luck "unsticking" engines in the past so I made an offer on it and got it. I was pretty busy for a few days after bringing it home but finally took time to check it out. When I took the flywheel cover off I found that someone had put a bolt that was much too long in one of the lower holes, jamming it in against the flywheel "locking" it from turning. With the bolt out, the engine turned fine! The gas tank was very clean inside as was the carburator. All the fuel system needed was a new gasket for the glass bowl on the tank. I have no spark at the plug though. Someone has installed one of the "CDI" conversion kits at some point, so there has obviously been a problem before. I would like to replace the coil, points, and condenser with new parts and be back to factory stock again. Other than that, new tires, paint and decals and it will be restored. I have ordered decals for it already.20190517_144905.jpg20190504_161047.jpg
Anybody know a source for the unusual grips for the handlebars for the Junior Chief or a way of molding your own? The handlebars are made from flat steel, instead of round stock like most.

Last edited:
Back