A gift for helping out.

Kster526

If only I had more space
For the past few years I have helped one of my elderly neighbors with there lawn and snow removal. They know I like my older lawn tractors as the green vs cub battle conversation has been the source of a few laughs. He is a IH guy and me well yes I’m green.. He does have one of each until now and said he cuts grass in the dark so nobody sees him on his little JD.
He has not been in good health and is on a steady decline so before something happened they told me to come and get it. Again I teased him about the 210 pulling home the Cub. He just chuckled.
The gift is a 1966 IH122 Cub. Had to fight with a flat front tire to get it to roll but after it was pumped up she followed us home nicely.Battery is stone dead so off to East Penn in the morning.
Squirted some WD40 in the spark plug and rotated the engine over by hand. Gas doesn’t smell bad so I’ll check the points ,oil and see what happens when I get the new battery.
There is also s snow blower for it buried in their shed but that’ll wait for a nice day as it’ll take awhile to dig it out.8EEE408A-5853-4D52-9809-873C560D211D.jpegC40D4088-5409-4E8E-BA7C-C65512281B6C.jpegDFDC5642-0567-46E5-90A9-7E364EDEF0AF.jpeg5FFDA1A7-2DAE-4357-8DF7-5FC54776C162.jpeg24A4F5A1-3D21-46FD-8BA6-89E077FF677C.jpeg95C4D715-81AE-47E9-BA2E-11424BDDFD8C.jpeg8CBA215F-3978-4D21-9D02-191A901667AD.jpeg

I don’t think one would plus it uses the older style bolt thru terminal ends.
Had to make a new positive cable the old one was missing almost all of the insulation on the wire.
Good looking 102, you do the restoration.
I’ve sent pics to my brother who’s is the IH guy in the family and is already after me to buy or trade it to him. Not sure I can do that as it was a gift.
Time will tell.

I don’t think one would plus it uses the older style bolt thru terminal ends.
Had to make a new positive cable the old one was missing almost all of the insulation on the wire.
Good looking 102, you do the restoration.
I’ve sent pics to my brother who’s is the IH guy in the family and is already after me to buy or trade it to him. Not sure I can do that as it was a gift.
Time will tell.

My dad and I did it about 10 years ago. It was one of the last ones we did before my life got hectic with kids and they use up all my free time.

Restore it or make it a worker. You'll like it! They are good solid tractors.

Yup going to give it a bath. Wanted to get the carb cleaned up before that happened. Plus it was pretty cool outside today and the wife’s car got a bath inside.

car batteries come in many sizes... you should be able to find one that will fit as I remember the battery area is bigger than the space needed for a regular GT batteries.. get 2 of the universal battery terminal repair ends and screw the lug to one of the 1/4" " bolts under the strap.... car batteries typically have more power than the biggest rated GT batteries.

Very nice! The 122 is the geared brother to my 123 hydrostatic. The seat on mine is not in good shape, but the rest is.

I hope you get to enjoy yours as much as I do. Nice that you can sort of keep it in the family.

car batteries come in many sizes... you should be able to find one that will fit as I remember the battery area is bigger than the space needed for a regular GT batteries..

The older 1970s Wheel Horses had a box that was bigger than a GT battery. There was a certain model of car batt. that isn't made anymore which would fit.

What web site or were do you guys look for parts and Info other than E-Bay. We do have a dealer close by us but other than that I’m not sure. It’s a learning process for me with this brand.
I looked up proper mounting of the muffler and would like to put that the way it belongs . I’ve sprayed the exhaust down with creepy oil to help.

I hate to say most common parts I've bought have come from the dealer. We have Kenndy Hardware in wheeling, wv that has been in business forever. They have a lot of the old parts on the shelf! I went in there one day for a gasket for an original. He had it in stock. Old guy behind the counter said its been hanging there for 50 plus years.

I buy as much as possible anywhere but the dealer. Belts and bearings especially can be readily obtained WITHOUT resorting to the cheap imitation parts also without paying dealer's ransom

Well today I had an hour or so before I left for work so I put the battery in,
new air cleaner some fresh gas and after a few coughs it sprang to life again . It leveled out after a few belches of smoke . I have the new points and condenser to put in yet but the anticipation got the better of me.
I took it over to the neighbors and she had a tear in her eye. We walked him out and he smiled from ear to ear when he saw it. Made me feel really good to show him it running. There brother in law bought it new in 66 and they have owned it since the early 70’s .

What web site or were do you guys look for parts and Info other than E-Bay. We do have a dealer close by us but other than that I’m not sure. It’s a learning process for me with this brand.
I looked up proper mounting of the muffler and would like to put that the way it belongs . I’ve sprayed the exhaust down with creepy oil to help.
If this site has any vendors check them first. If there are I have missed them. I buy some stuff from Pat's Small engine site, here's a link.

Small Engine Parts, Lawn Mower Parts, Marine Parts, ATV Parts, Dirt Bike Parts, Snowmobile Parts and More.

They do have brand specific stuff but probably not real old. Don't know what you may need, or if they would have the exhaust parts.

DAC

Back