A Pull-Behind Winch

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I haven't found pics of the axle before I cut it apart, know they are on here somewhere. But I bought the axle a few years back and have been trying to decide what to use it on. It originally had 400X8's on it, but I found 4 18x8.50's off a golf cart that fit.
Anyway, I had cut some 2X2 square to change the axle configuration. Yesterday, I cut the spindle ends off the original axle and welded it all together.
DSCN3708.JPG

This widens it from around 40" to about 55" tread width. I'll add in a tongue of about 36". Then a piece of 2" pipe as an upright. On top of that will be the Ramsey 2500 lb. winch I picked at the show.
DSCN3516.JPG

I know this is not a lot of info as yet, but I am gathering and designing as I go.

I found the pics of the axle finally.
2015-10-18 11.18.27.jpg 2015-10-18 11.18.42.jpg

2015-10-18 11.18.43.jpg 2015-10-18 11.18.53.jpg

Hmm, sounds like an interesting project. Like something junior would use all the time.

Got some decent weather today and I had time to 'noodle' what I wanted to do. Here's the upright post.
DSCN3709.JPG

Here's the pulley for the end that the cable will run in.
DSCN3710.JPG DSCN3711.JPG

Hope it stays together. It's only spot welded about 3 times around. I'll run a bead down the center if I have to.

Got the pulley mounted! My welds are looking better.
DSCN3712.JPG

Here I'm figuring out the winch mount.
DSCN3713.JPG

Made a plate and welded it to the pipe.
DSCN3714.JPG DSCN3715.JPG

Now I can mate the two pieces of pipe together.

I got some more done today. Married the post's together and added a few more things. First is the holder to keep the cable in the pulley.

DSCN3716.JPG DSCN3717.JPG

Then some loops to help hold things from swinging.
DSCN3718.JPG DSCN3719.JPG

Then I extended the upright. Thius should put the top of the pulley about 6' off the ground.
DSCN3720.JPG

Now all I need is about 3' of 1" black pipe for tongue reinforcement and a tube for one tire. It's coming together!

Got a tube for the tire yesterday, Have to go to Lowes (or Ace) for the black pipe. Been too cold to do any more with it.

Thought about making the drive to Lowes, but I will be right next door Wed. Might as well wait til then!

Got bored, so made the trip and got the 1" pipe. Got it cut to length and clamped to weld in.
DSCN3721.JPG DSCN3722.JPG

Finished that off and got the hitch welded on.
DSCN3723.JPG DSCN3724.JPG DSCN3725.JPG

Set up to weld to the axle!
DSCN3726.JPG

Got the tongue welded on and a plate to weld the upright post to.
DSCN3727.JPG DSCN3728.JPG

Next issue will be holding the 6' post in the right orientation to weld on! Might be fun!

Due to the cold snap, not much progress. Been noodling a few options. Bought a fairlead for the winch. Got it through Home Depot online. <$10 to the store for pickup, no shipping. Need to make a mount for it! I'm also making another mount for the winch to fit a Class III hitch. Might come in handy at times.

Kenny,
I have an axle just like that one, and used it with golf cart tires to put under a military generator to make it more mobile around the place.
Great work on your project, you definitely picked a heavy enough axle.

Taking a bit longer than I thought. Gotta have a day with little wind to weld the upright on as I have to do this outside.

I cleaned up the hubs this morning and got a coat of Rust Reformer on them. They'll get some semi-gloss black tomorrow if weather permits!DSCN3813.JPG

Back