A Pull-Behind Winch

Well, the wether wasn't in the best of moods, so I fired up the wood burner and made my own climate! Once temps got up a bit (I warmed the paint cans first) I put some primer on the hubs.
DSCN3814.JPG

Got the last 4 lug nuts coated to.
DSCN3815.JPG

Then got the semi-gloss put on. They can sit for a few days now to cure.
DSCN3816.JPG

None today, though! Dratted winds are blasting out there and I'm not going to mess with them! It can set a little longer!

I decided this morning was the day to put the mast on. Took some finagling, but I got it on there! Still have to make a battery box and run the wiring better, but it's together for now and out of my shop!

DSCN3823.JPG DSCN3824.JPG

DSCN3825.JPG DSCN3826.JPG

I don't think it would be safe to have a mobile winch around. JR would be busy seeing what all could be moved, even what dad wants where it is.

I got a battery box made up and a plate for the switch to mount to.

DSCN3828.JPG

Got the box welded to the frame.
DSCN3829.JPG

And the plate.
DSCN3830.JPG

All wired up and ready. Just need a good battery to run it. I may hook an amp meter in line (temp) to see what this thing pulls. I had an older battery that is weak and a 6 Amp charger on it and the charger could not keep up!
DSCN3831.JPG DSCN3832.JPG

I located my spare 30 Amp gauge. I'll make a temp hookup for it and put it in line to see what this draws. That will tell me what size battery I'll need for it. Doubt it will be today, though. Gonna be damp out there!

Got the gauge wired for plug-n-play!
DSCN3834.JPG DSCN3835.JPG

Also made a pair of 'stirrups' for lifting with a front axle. That's 3/8" bar stock.
DSCN3833.JPG

Here's the spreader bar for the stirrups. I plan to put 3 hooks on each end for attaching the stirrups or whatever to. It's about 30" long.
DSCN3836.JPG DSCN3837.JPG DSCN3838.JPG

I figured out some way for hooks on the ends. Got those welded on this morning. Also got chains attached to the stirrups.

DSCN3846.JPG DSCN3847.JPG

Now when the weather cooperates, I'm ready to give it a try! I'll use a 525 amp car battery to try it out.

I got Alice out this morning and hooked the lift to her. Figured I would need her fat butt to hold the winch tongue down. Backed the winch up in front of the JD 316 w/ deck as I wanted to turn it around and that would be a good test. I used a 525 Amp car battery and good thing I did. It pegged the 30 A gauge. But it lifted the tractor just fine and with an extra 40 Acres, I got it turned around.
DSCN3855.JPG DSCN3856.JPG

DSCN3857.JPG DSCN3858.JPG

It works! Not the ideal thing to try and back, though!

Nice work on it.
Looks like it could come in handy at some of the bigger auctions for loading up a survivor.
Like the Alice in front

Back