A Rare Find

NewHolland

Tractorologist
This past week I found and dealt for the now coolest toy in my stable. A late 1960s Amphibious KID 8x8. This tractor (manual calls it a tractor) is rare for two reasons, the first being only 400 of the original 500 built were gasoline powered Wisconsin 30 horsepower V4 engines. The second thing to make it rare, is it got away from me once before. This exact machine was owned by a close friend of mine, in which he began restoring it by rebuilding the engine, beating out the dents, and painting it. A little over a year ago he traded it away for a duece and a half that he wanted. The kicker was he traded it to a friend of mine that is a wheeler dealer, and before I could ask, it was on it's way to his son's house in Cleveland, where I figured I would never see it again. Monday night my friend called me and said his son no longer wanted the amphib and he was on his way back with it, was I interested? You better believe it, but what do I do about storing it and the financial end of the deal? I know nothing about it other than I know the guy that knows everything about it. So I did what anyone else would do, I traded my 16 foot landscape type trailer for it and called my friend Keith to see if he would store it in his building. The reply I received was "How the heck did you manage to get it back?" Followed by, "Yes, bring it to my house and we can finish restoring it together for you." He then confessed to me that he was sorry to have ever let it go, and excited that I now own it, because I respect it, and value him as a friend, not to mention the value I put on the amphib because it was at one time his.

PS: It has a Category 0 three point hitch, and the tracks.

IMG_0856.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Planning to plow with it this Spring at a plow day or two, provided it is ready to go, which it should be. It is about an hour from home.

I stay offline for a day, and you actually bust out the pictures. I agree, its awesome.

What's the dimensions of that bad boy? About 5x8?

Yes to both Alan's and Cat's questions. And it weighs 2200 pounds lol. I have that tatooed in my mind cause I feel like that should sink it lol. 

Im going back out to the shop to dismantle some Springfields (deemed as parts machines) to make room for it to come into the shop.

Back