Another dumb question (grounding)

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

From looking at my tear down pics and wiring diagrams for my SS12, I'm seeing a chassis ground. Seeing how I've coated everything with rust reformer, primer, and several coats of paint, am I good to just ground the system to the battery tray(after scraping to metal and using a star washer), or would I be better off going directly to the frame using the same method?

Should I go out and get a dedicated grounding strap or will soldered terminals work fine?

I'm not gonna lie, these older systems are new to me.

Should I do the same to the grounding side of the voltage regulator?

How about the engine mounting bolts?

As I piece the parts of the frame back together, should I make sure there is continuity between all sections?

I guess I just want to do it right the first time instead of chasing electrical ghosts in the future.

I'm used to solenoids...

Thanks,
bobcat2

Last edited:
everything Doug said, plus any piece that is supposed to have a chassis ground, I would suggest using at minimum a star washer to bite through the paint.

So, if I understand, run a ground from the engine mount to the same ground location on the frame for the battery?

Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the ground coming from the battery. If you have a heavy cable from the battery to the frame already, I'd use the star washers and maybe scrape a little paint to make sure the engine is making a good ground. Running the spare wire won't hurt.

Back