Another one added to the stable-Sears

TAHOE

Tractorologist
Picked this up for $100, 1975 ST16. Guy bought it for the rearend, then found a deal on 2 rearends for cheap so he decided not to part it out.
He said the PO told him it had spark, but looks like it has ran for quite a while. Hopefully it has spark. I will need a seat and new gas tank also
Came with a 48" deck which I've been looking for and the obligatory busted upper grill.
If I can get it running, I plan to make it my grass cutter and leave my current suburban as my work tractor.

1975 ST16 6.jpg1975 ST16 7.jpg1975 ST16 8.jpg

And we have fire, that's the biggy on the Tecs, a good SSI module. It has a switch, wire or solenoid issue, but spins and fires with direct jump to starter wire.

Heck of a deal! I have an ST/16. At least you have most of that busted grille. Mine is missing quite a few pieces. And the engine, fuel tank and related parts!

It would be great if you could get a good grille and use it to cast an aluminum one. What is it with the grilles, no brakes?

My buddy has a perfect NOS one. I wished I knew how to make a cast and be able to make new ones. Even if out of fiberglass, you could add reinforcement inside the mold to prevent the breakage. Roper put aluminum ones on their brand suburbans, I guess it was cheaper and faster to make the fiberglass ones for Sears.
I wished someone out there would stumble across an original mold.
It not a brake issue, it's a poor design issue. The main stress point are right where the castings are thinner. You just lean on them wrong and they crack. Also if the hood cable breaks, it allows hood to flop over and snap@

I think the simplist would be to make a mold out of plaster, if you make it solid aluminum. If you try to make it hollow in back like the original, that would be much tougher.

I think the simplist would be to make a mold out of plaster, if you make it solid aluminum. If you try to make it hollow in back like the original, that would be much tougher.

yea, but that's a lot of pop cans to melt down ;)

Make it out of lead and add weight to the front!

Kenny, I actually find about an 80# chunk of lead cleaning out my dad's barn...I could use that ;)

Back