Bar Mower

chieffan

Tractorologist
Made a road trip today, 330 miles round trip and brought home a field ready JD #5 bar mower. Got 2 boxes of ledger plates, 3/4 box of sections, 2-3 other parts, all mountings, drive shaft. All but the pto shield. May have to come up with on down the road. Even got the manual with it 2which is unusual on this older equipment. Now to get the mounts made up and stay chains for the Bever and will try it out. 7' which is a bit longer than I really wanted but you take what become available as the PTO on the Bever turn backwards. Not all mowers will work with that.

I'm just about willing to bet the guard your looking for is out in my iron pile. I took it off of mine and the new owner didn't take it with him. If I stumble across it I will let you know. He did take my spare pitman arm.

I'm just about willing to bet the guard your looking for is out in my iron pile. I took it off of mine and the new owner didn't take it with him. If I stumble across it I will let you know. He did take my spare pitman arm.
That would be great Chris. Nothing at the tractor to hook it up to at this point. Got to get the mower off the trailer first. The PO loaded it with a JD "A" and #45 loader. It worked and that is what counts. Retired farmer and selling off his old equipment one piece at a time.

Almost bit off more than I could handle this morning. First off the loader on mu CUT would not lift the whole mower to get it to clear the trailer. Almost upset the tractor trying. Re hooked the chains and got the heavy part which is the bar and inside shoe enough to drive the trailer out from under it without upsetting the tractor. Goit it pushed in parking positioned and up on 3 concrete blocks. Soon as I get the bar made for the fast hitch to attach it to the tractor can get it in a better position. Already seen couple places that need attention. Bomgaar F&H have the adapter to convert the 20 spline PTO to an 8 spline male for $34. Need to tighten up the balance bar spring also. The bar has too much weight on the ground, will drag to hard and cause too much side draft. Stamping as to what mower it is for is still visable clear on the pitman arm so it has been replace once already.

Picked up the adapter from Bomgaars. Wrong one. Was for the 1-3/8" 20 spline to standard 540 6 spline. It goes back. Need a 1' 18 spline to 1-3/8" 6 spline. Adapter. Found one for $97.99 + 9,99 shipping. Found another one for $57.99 and $$24,99 shipping and handling. Not sure which way I will end up going.

Got the mounting bar made up but had to cut a piece out of the middle to have room for the PTO shaft. Thought it would clear under it but no luck there. Getting a new PTO shaft made up now. Only had about 3"where it slide into the back piece, not enough. One of these days may get a bar mower going. At least it is on the back of the tractor now. Pulled the JD cylinder off. Not going to go to all the trouble of adding extra fittings, hoses, etc. for what little it would be used. Manual lift works just fine.

Last edited:
Back