Barn Find

CRF6179

Goofologist
I got a phone call yesterday late afternoon. It was someone I know of in a neighboring town. He was aware that I mess with garden tractors and has been to several of our shows as a spectator. He asked if I was still diong G.T.’s, and would I be interested in an old Wheel Horse.
Of course I would.
We had company when he called and I told him I would come check it out after they left. At about six oclock Edy and I made the trip over. He took me out to his workshop and showed me a Wheel Horse C121. With hydraulic lift, and a very nice seat. Supposedly the 12 horse Kohler had been rebuilt and only had about 20 hours on it when it developed an electrical problem. When I asked how much he said…”You don’t understand, I am giving it to you.” He wouldn’t take any money. He told me there was someone else who knew he had it, and kept bugging him to give it to away to him. He doesn’t like the guy and wouldn’t sell it to him let alone give it to him.
The tractor has been sitting in the corner for several years. He said if I were to make it run, clean it and pretty it up he would be happy. No money needed. We made arrangements for me to pick it up this morning before the rains come.
His wlfe had already drug Edy into the house to see quilts. So we went back through the house and ended up staying another hour before we could get away.
Picked up the tractor at 8 oclock this morning. He had drug it around to the front of his garage and it took ten minutes to load and leave. The weren’t home but knew I was taking it. By 8:40 It was in the shop, trailer stashed and truck in the garage just as it started raining. Got a little wet but didn’t melt much.:)
It is odd that I have not openly searched for a tractor for several years. But as soon as I finish a project, or get an open spot on the floor something pops up.

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpeg
    IMG_1175.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1176.jpeg
    IMG_1176.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1177.jpeg
    IMG_1177.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1179.jpeg
    IMG_1179.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1180.jpeg
    IMG_1180.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1181.jpeg
    IMG_1181.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1182.jpeg
    IMG_1182.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 13
Went out to shop a while ago and did a double take looking at the engine. Started counting head bolts and counted twice.
10 head bolts!!! That’s a 16 hp Kohler!
Also took a look under the rear axle. The stirrups for a snow blade are under there.

Attachments

• IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1184.jpeg
    IMG_1184.jpeg
    233 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That’s a nice find and interesting too. I wish I could just stick with one or two brands. Most guys I know that do are able to have a lot more usable parts between them like you do. Keep us posted Rick.

That’s a nice find and interesting too. I wish I could just stick with one or two brands. Most guys I know that do are able to have a lot more usable parts between them like you do. Keep us posted Rick.
I have never been able to stay with one or two brands. My herd tends to fluctuate with what is available and catches my attention, or imagination. I have always had an eclectic group of G.T.’s.
Currently:
Amigo
Massey Ferguson Executive 8E
Minneapolis Moline Mocraft
Speedex S17
J.D. 110 Round Fender
Elec-Trak E14
Elec-Trak E12s
Cub Cadet 782
Cub Cadet 1864 Custom
Wheel Horse 1277 Custom
Wheel Horse Electro 12
Homemade (Mostly Cub Cadet)
2011 Kubota T2380 that I mow with.

Got out the Wheel Horse to pull the drag with. Really bad sound coming from the area of the belt. Sounded like a dry idler pulley and that's what it was. Found a like new one in my collection. While putting the belt back on I noticed a little wobble in the belt pulley that drives the rear gear assembly. This is not the first time I've found these loose on these garden tractors so you might want to keep an I on yours. Other than that these things are just neat. And by the way if you ever get the urge to swap engines either gas or diesel these are the tractors to do it with. Here is the one I put a Lister Petters diesel in pulling wood home for my Grandson who is now the owner. Look at the trailer tires.
Resized_20221110_162130.jpg

Back