Bending Stainless Steel

chieffan

Tractorologist
I have 4 pieces of 1/4" X 4" stainless steel that has the end bent up about 20°. I want to flatten them out to use in an electrolysis tank. They would take up to much room with 4 of them and being bent like they area. Have not messed with but very little smaller SS. Can I flatten these out in a 20 T hydraulic press without breaking them at the bend??

Got them bent back almost straight with no cracks. They are hanging in the electrolysis tub now. Will see in the morning how it is working out. The stainless is not supposed to get ate away like iron does.

I have in Cast Iron Collectors book. Dangerous when used in the size/quantity they use when putting chrome on parts but so very little when used in electrolysis in 6-8 gallon containers it is no problem. The lye bath we use is a lot more dangerous and has to be diluted down good before disposal. Mixture we normally use in 5 lbs. in 5 gal of water. Lasts a long time so not much discard with it. Going down to check the chicken fryer (deep 10+" skillet) in a bit and see how it looks.

Back