blade belt help with Husq tractor

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I must be having a brain fart of huge proportions. I have a (should be) stupid simple problem that I cant figure out with this thing.
Its a YT21K46, LT. I got this thing with a rapidly dying single cyl Kohler Courage engine. (imagine that)

I found a decent (for what they are anyway) 17.5HP Intek, just to get this thing moving under its own power once again.... This is a machine that I have known the history of since brand new, my neighbor across the street (RIP) bought it brand new. His wife went to assisted living, daughter moved away and they sold the house. and they were desprate to see this thing gone as they cleaned out the house and garage upon selling the house.... so it wound up at my place.

The engine bolted up like it belonged there. I did have to add a 2nd cable for a seperate choke, but that was the only mod needed (besides a couple of wires swapped around) to the tractor, to fit this engine. Still has original belts. The drive belt is fine, tractor moves and drives under its own power. But the original deck, original belt that used to work fine together, now I can't take out enough slack with the tensioner for it "not to" be floppy loose with the blade engaged. I cannot get enough tension on the belt to spin the blades at all. It seems like the belt (which is original to the tractor, and worked with the old engine in place) seems around 1 to 1-1/2" too long.
I measured the existing belt, I then Googled what the right belt should be/ and the specs that I come up with on the replacement, are actually an inch longer than what I have. I come up with 104-1/2, specs on what should be there is something like 105"-105.7".
Its possible the belt could be worn thin, judging by the "witness marks of rust" on the pulley stack. I know a "too thin" belt will ride deeper in the grooves and make it seem "longer". But not THAT much.
Yes, I took the same original pulley stack from the Courage and put it onto the Intek. so no change there.
the only other idea I had was that I had the deck "hung wrong", meaning possibly that there may have been another set of holes for the deck hanger brackets, but, nope.
I did take the deck off when I first got it, wire wheeled the bottom, painted it with some junk leftover rustoleum just to preserve it and keep it from rotting out, put a set of brand new blades on it, and stood the deck up alongside the shed for the winter/, and I put it back on again in the spring. I could have mis-hung something. I don't see where though/ This is the last thing I need to figure out on this unit, and it can go down the road..... so I wasn't wanting to buy a belt if I didn't have to. and dont wanna "guess" and buy random belts to try....

Belts are getting to be difficult to get the right one. I buy quality kevlar belts from the same supplier on Amazon. The problems I’ve had are the factory specs are not always an identical match even if the belt is listed the same size. I had to buy three belts a few weeks ago for a Simplicity deck before I got the right size. I ran into the same problem on a Bolens deck last year trying to use the factory specs.

Belt routing may be an issue? What width belt is on it? What should it be? Switching engines should not matter if you have the same pulleys.
I have thought about that.
There's a sticker on the deck and it's routed exactly as that says to.
Again this is the same belt that was on it with the original engine and original pulleys, and the combo ran just fine before. That's the confusing part.
As for TSC the one by me is the last place to go for anything that can be had elsewhere.
Pricing on the shelf doesn't jive with prices when scanned at the register and when questioned, "they have no idea" except that "when there is dispute the price coming up in the register wins". I've left merchandise on their counter and walked away more than once because of this. And returned most of what I've ever bought there as a result, if I did make it out the door with purchase in hand. It isn't worth the hassle, so I don't go there any more.
If I'm out and about (next nearest TSC is about 40 miles away in either direction) I'll stop in, the other locations I've been to, don't seem to have the issues my local one does.

"Pricing on the shelf doesn't jive with prices when scanned at the register and when questioned, "they have no idea" except that "when there is dispute the price coming up in the register wins". I've left merchandise on their counter and walked away more than once because of this."

When there is a difference between the shelf or advertised price and check out price, shelf price wins. You may have to push it., but anything else is bait and switch. I got a good deal on a pair of binoculars once, because the $79 price was marked $49.

Not at the Kankakee IL TSC it doesn't.
I've tried. I've gotten this "yeah we've had alot of price changes lately, sorry" routine and I've taken them back to the shelf and showed them where I got said product and what it's priced at there and they say"well I have to go by what the register says". So I don't shop there.
What you say is how it's been at every other store Ive ever been in, where there has been such a dispute/, but not here. And it happens way, much less everywhere else (not just counting TSC when I say that) than it does at this location. It's actually quite rare any more at other places I go.

I have thought about that.
There's a sticker on the deck and it's routed exactly as that says to.
Again this is the same belt that was on it with the original engine and original pulleys, and the combo ran just fine before. That's the confusing part.
As for TSC the one by me is the last place to go for anything that can be had elsewhere.
Pricing on the shelf doesn't jive with prices when scanned at the register and when questioned, "they have no idea" except that "when there is dispute the price coming up in the register wins". I've left merchandise on their counter and walked away more than once because of this. And returned most of what I've ever bought there as a result, if I did make it out the door with purchase in hand. It isn't worth the hassle, so I don't go there any more.
If I'm out and about (next nearest TSC is about 40 miles away in either direction) I'll stop in, the other locations I've been to, don't seem to have the issues my local one does.
I ordered two belts from TSC early last year. They were in sealed plastic bags. Half way home I decided to look at what I got. One belt was fine the other belt had been used. Not only was it dirty but the edges were worn. Made a quick turnaround and returned both. The guy says what’s wrong with the new one. I said nothing I’m buying from another place now that you tried to pull this off on me. I ordered both belts on Amazon on the way home for a lot less and got them the next day.

Napa by me has a couple o different product lines of belts. I've gotten the gates green from there many times. Usually if I have a choice those are usually the belts I get if they have one for the application I need at the moment.
I didn't think that being an "fhp" belt had anything to do with the materials it was made from.
I found a "genuine craftsman" belt on feebay for a good deal, it's not black like one on there now. More of a brown/gray

DT MFDAC Doug hooked me up with these guys for belts. I’ve been ordering ever since. Make sure you get the Aramid fiber belts. They have a flat rate shipping of $6.99.

Napa by me has a couple o different product lines of belts. I've gotten the gates green from there many times. Usually if I have a choice those are usually the belts I get if they have one for the application I need at the moment.
I didn't think that being an "fhp" belt had anything to do with the materials it was made from.
I found a "genuine craftsman" belt on feebay for a good deal, it's not black like one on there now. More of a brown/gray
FHP belts have nylon cords where the Kevlar belts have Kevlar cords. About the same difference as between bias ply and radial tires. If the sleeve don't say Kevlar it is not Kevlar, the color makes no difference.

FHP belts have nylon cords where the Kevlar belts have Kevlar cords. About the same difference as between bias ply and radial tires. If the sleeve don't say Kevlar it is not Kevlar, the color makes no difference.
Kevlar is the trade mark brand of the Aramid fiber made by DuPont. The Aramid fiber belts are the same as a Kevlar belt.

I don't see many things a actually say "kevlar" on them but I do know that a there are different types of belts (construction, materials)
And I didn't know that "fhp" had anything to do with that, fhp stands for"fractional horsepower"
FHP is just what it is like you mentioned DT they are light duty belts for small engines up to 1hp I think. You won’t see the name Kevlar much anymore but look for the Aramid fiber for a good quality belt.

Back