Borrowed a potato hiller. What do you think.

Propane1

Tractorologist
Got it from another garden tractor buddie.
It’s some heavy. Has adjustments for the shovels up and down. And side to side.
Some markings on it. Anybody know what make it is.

Noel

Attachments

Cvans

Tractorologist
If it were me I would be spreading those moldboards (for lack of a better name) farther apart. Getting the hiller set up right and the correct ground speed is the important part. Practice on unplanted ground first. You can mess up a lot of plants in a hurry.
Last year I hilled the sweet corn for the first time and that really worked well also. Plant the potatoes and corn with the rows five feet apart. Hill and then till between the rows.

chieffan

Tractorologist
I always rolled up a good raised row first, then planted and never hilled after that. If weather conditions were right never had a weed problem. Mighty fine looking potatoes I must say. Might have to plant some next year. I know we will need sweet potatoes by then for sure.

Propane1

Tractorologist
Well the hiller worked great. No trouble pulling it with the LGT100 Ford. Second gear, just above idle. Did a test spot in fresh tilled ground. After that, cultivated the field to loosen up the ground. Did not really need to, but why not.

Noel

Attachments

Sawdust

Tractorologist
If it were me I would be spreading those moldboards (for lack of a better name) farther apart. Getting the hiller set up right and the correct ground speed is the important part. Practice on unplanted ground first. You can mess up a lot of plants in a hurry.
Last year I hilled the sweet corn for the first time and that really worked well also. Plant the potatoes and corn with the rows five feet apart. Hill and then till between the rows.
I like the 5 foot advice between rows. I went 4 & my tiller clips the edges of the hills. Next year! :thumbs:

Sawdust

Tractorologist
That's a nice one. Good advice first hilling just right second time it would probably pull some plants out like mentioned. By the way I had my first blue potatoes. Very good but I almost had to shut my eyes on the first bite :eek: