bought a kemp chipper

ivarr893

not sure what specific model. looked at it last saturday morning for 2 minutes and bought it for $100-.
go pick it up in a few hours. had to get a van from taylor rental since i drive a jeep tj.

in the 7 days since, i have done a little net searching and youtubing and have a few ideas about improving it .
ie: 5hp now thinking 9 - 12 possibly electric start, many cheap snowblower engines on craigslist. will a snowblower motor even be the right choice for a chipper ? what i've read so far seems like it is built like a tank so up-sizing should not be an issue.
perhaps milling the plate and adding a second chipper blade. will that make it more efficent in chipping speed ?
welding up a two wheel trailer with old lawn tractor wheels for it instead of the 4 wheel setup it has now.
will know a lot more once i get it here and take a detailed inventory of what i'm dealing with.
say it's got a 3" capicity on the chipper which is just fine with me, that's all i need but would like as quick and smooth as possible with as large a motor i am able to get ahold of.

pics will be added, open to considering ideas.

Welcome aboard, you got yourself a tank of a chipper/ shreader very well made. The chipper blades are still available. Are you missing any of the shredding knives. Those have to be made. Post some pics of yours when you can. I bought one last year really cheap. Here is my link it might help you.

quick drive by picture drop. not as clean as i thought but under a barn overhang on a farm. going to pull the body off and see what's going on.
two wheel with a tongue instead of this 4/wheel pivoting thing happens immediately

Attachments

• IMG_0645 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0645 (Large).jpg
    388 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0646 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0646 (Large).jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0647 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0647 (Large).jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0648 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0648 (Large).jpg
    350 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0649 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0649 (Large).jpg
    172 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0655 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0655 (Large).jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0656 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0656 (Large).jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0661 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0661 (Large).jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 12
quick drive by picture drop. not as clean as i thought but under a barn overhang on a farm. going to pull the body off and see what's going on.
two wheel with a tongue instead of this 4/wheel pivoting thing happens immediately
I’m with you on the rediculous 4 wheel setup it’s way too top heavy for pulling. My plan is to put two wheels mid way or so for a good weight ratio over the hitch. I’ve had mine on an incline with the tractor at a slow idle in first gear while I walk along the side of the chipper keeping it from falling over.

took the body off and drum out this morning going to work now.
three shredder blades bent a little.
will order greaseable pillow blocks.
is any reason i shouldn't cut it for a 2nd chipper blade. how about 3 ? how about 4 ? opinions please.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0665.jpg
    IMG_0665.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 11
Some reason they have figured that one blade was enough . I'm sure they were trying to keep the price down but if two were better I think they would've have went route.

I have the one below which is pto driven and does the job fine. Whether 2 or more blades work better I don't know..
2020-04-03_19-21-28_557.jpg

I agree with Bill if two blades were better they would have put two. I’ve ran 3” branches in mine with no problems just trying it out. For me 3” branches are firewood not mulch. A lot of bearings on Amazon to choose from.
PGN UCP204-12 Pillow Block Bearing - Pack of 2 Mounted Pillow Block Bearings - Chrome Steel Bearings with 3/4" Bore - Self Alignment https://a.co/d/2AY11rh

If you need to replace your chipper blade this is where I got mine.

Last edited:
so if i understand the dynamics right, the shredder flail i guess is the way to describe it, just keeps battering the material around and around until it's small enough to drop through the holes ( didn't measure them yet guessing 5/8" - 3/4" ). so how about i bust out the 2" cutoff wheel and turn them into ovals sort of a pattern like this ?
not looking to make decorative mulch, this is strictly a service tool to keep me from having ugly brush piles and even more importantly from having to burn. i am done with these burn piles. so stuff the size of broken small potato chips is fine with me. i only have 5 1/2 acres, it will inevitably be bittersweet vine, rose bramble, honeysuckle, maple poplar and white pine saplings and smaller branches sub 3". probably sub 2".

Attachments

• modification.jpg
    modification.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
chipper blade is actually in quite good shape. found that replacement blade for $5- cheaper shipping from chalmers own account on ebay so i ordered one. pillow blocks are on the way.
think i should sand and paint everything inside ie: drum, grate, bodywork and hoppers / chutes with that rustoleum truck bed rattlecan stuff. did the inside of my lawn tractor trailer with that a couple years ago and it has been really great.
how about the slot in the drum for the chipper blade, it's pretty thin. if i made that bigger would that help in any way ?

going to try and find someone to sandblast the drum with the shredder ( teeth ? ) before i do anything to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 5
Although the bed liner is a good product I wouldn’t use it on the drum. It might cause some resistance preventing the mulch from escaping quickly. I wouldn’t alter the chipper area any. There is a close tolerance in the adjustment of the blade. Do you have a manual for yours.

yes have the original manual, but it's really generically useless. basic homeowner type. found this PDF of the same manual i got. but i have the k6ch model.

i'm a little concerned about cracking the pully when i have to pull it to change the pillow block on the drive side. did you ultimately decide if you did it or if it was already there when you got yours ?

Attachments

• Kemp Chipper-Shredder Manual.pdf
    338.2 KB · Views: 2
Since I heard it pop while putting it back on I’m pretty sure I done it. I guess I tightened one side too much before the other one. I think I torqued the bolts on the new one just a quarter turn at a time.

ok, engine .
how much hp is going to be too much ?
80 miles away, but there is a vanguard 10hp for $66- on craigslist. BUT i sent the guy an email asking 3 questions. is it really a vanguard or just a vanguard air cleaner cover? is it really 66 bucks ( because that seems very low ) ? does it run?
told him it was a 1 1/2 hr drive for me.
his entire response, " come an look " no he didn't use the D in " and " .
so i'm reluctant.

Back