Brake lining

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

For those of you who replaced their brake lining, how did you attach it?

The one on mine is riveted to the band, I thought about countersinking some rivets to the new one like they did, then I thought about adhesives and did a bit of searching. I read one account of a guy using JB weld and several clamps to hold it until it cures, I read the whole thread and there were no updates on how it held.

I like the idea of adhesive, that way you have more lining instead of eventually wearing a groove in the pulley when you get to the river heads. I'm not sure if there would be a better adhesive to use... I've dealt with 3M 5200 in the past and I know the only way to remove it is with a grinder, but I'm not sure how it would adhere to the lining of the band... perhaps an email to 3M could shed some light.

Opinions?

Thanks,
bobcat2

Try to tighten the band down on the drum to let it cure---without any squeezing out on the drum of course! It should be a much more even lining rather than a few individual clamps. I did something like that on a go-kart years ago.

DAC

I've used JBWeld on a brake band. Been so long I don't remember which one is was. Have also used it to 'glue' magnets back on a flywheel and those are still there.

I guess the lawyers at 3M answer technical questions, lol. I was told they've never tested that application before and can't recommend anything.

When you used JBWeld did you put it on the entire length of the brake lining or just in spots? If down the entire length does it affect the flex of the brake band around the drum?

When you used JBWeld did you put it on the entire length of the brake lining or just in spots? If down the entire length does it affect the flex of the brake band around the drum?
I used a thin film of JB all the way around! Didn't seem to affect anything.

Since you are gluing lining in the shape of the metal band, there is almost no flexing when in use. I lathered up the whole liner when I glued mine

They use adhesive to bond brake shoe pads. Had mine let go few weeks ago. In hindsight I could have glued them back on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 9
Back