Briggs V Twin Vanguard 18hp Question

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
This is on my White 1855. It’s surging bad at slow throttle and quits at low idle. Choking it helps some. Fuel delivery is good new hoses, new filter, & fresh gas. I’m going to take the top of the carb off to do some cleaning and making sure everything is clear. My first question is what is this what looks like a vacuum port with nothing on it. It’s at the top left corner. I don’t see any hoses or any indication anything was ever attached to it because it’s dirty at the end. This is my first twin I have worked on so I might be back with more questions. Thanks
47A5E7E2-1884-4E5D-9E01-5CF24F7BC05A.jpeg

Ive seen those on many B&S twins with nothing attached... I expect the carb is used in many applications and some my require a breather tube be attached but not on lawn tractors... just ignore it

Lol I did put my finger on it and no change for a few seconds then gas started coming out of the carb then it choked or flooded it’s self down to quitting. I would think a screen or filter should be on that to keep anything from crawling inside. Like you Lance I’ll just ignore it for now.

The inside of the carb bowl had some dirt in it. I cleaned that out then blew everything clear. I didn’t see anything clogged but it doesn’t take much to be a problem.

I’m not sure what the problem was but it runs a lot better. I adjusted the idle mixture screw so it would idle down then back up to full throttle smoothly. It purrrrrs like a kitten now. I’m extremely happy with this tractor. Thanks again guys.

I like those vanguard twins, have one in my Simplicty mower and one in a generator, plus another on the shelf not currently in use.

Those older L head twins were good engines also. Not near as suseptable to dirt & crud going through the carb. Putting one together shortly as the machine shop called and said it was done. Had to bored 10 over. Will pick it up in the morning and start in. Talking rain off and on the next 3-4 days. Engine will go in a 782 cub that had one of those ventilating KT17's in it. Have another L head in a White 1655 and a Vanguard I put in a IH 1650 that had a KT17 that got ventilated before I acquired it. Have good luck with those B&S engines.

Like Lance said - that tube is the float bowl vent. Got one just like it on my Vanguard 16 with nothing attached.

Back