Brinly three point cultivator goes disc harrow

NewHolland

Tractorologist
As some of you know, I have no disc harrows for anything bigger than my Springfield tractors. This year I am changing that. These parts wrre accumulated over the last few years in order to correct this, but not in the same way. I used to play with sleeve hitch tractors, but now most of my work GTs are Category 0 so that is what I needed. About 5 years ago I dug two matching Bolens disc harrows out of the local scrap yard. The frames were all welded on and the discs on one was bent somewhat, so I do not feel bad parting out for this, they would have been smashed before. So now to make them fit Cat 0 hitch. About 2 years ago at an auction I had picked up three Brinly Cat 0 implements: a rear blade cost me around $130 (which I wanted the most), a 12" plow sold for $80 (to me cause I know that is like free lol), and finally, a cultivator (which I would never use) sold for $40 to guess who (ya, I was not letting that get away). So now that I rambled on I will tell you that I did not realize until last month that Brinly used everything on the cultivator to make the disc harrow except the spring tines, so that gave me an idea lol.

This is where I left off last weekend. See if you can figure out what I have done. The angle iron I have for this project is 2"x2"x3/8" and any plate steel is 1/2" thick. These are materials I had laying around, including the top link for a Case Ingersoll, sorry lol. Only thing left to do to make it functional is to add two more heavy angle irons, bolted in from the other holes on the A frame and running back to the same bolts that hold the diagonal braces to the original cultivator angles. Oh, and maybe wing weight posts?

Attachments

• IMG_3184.JPG
    IMG_3184.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3185.JPG
    IMG_3185.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 29
I’ve seen this come together. Starting with a pile of parts, it really has taken shape.
Can’t wait to see it in action in a couple of weeks

Looking good. I like the way the same piece of equipment can gather up different names as it moves about the country. In the Midwest that piece of equipment is simply a single "disc". 2 types of harrows here. The spike tooth which has the RR type spikes that are adjustable from straight up to down to flat. And the spring tooth, which has the long curved spring steel tines which are also adjustable. Not saying any name is right or wrong, just interesting.

Update for this implement is that I finally made the final two angle irons and installed them. I procrastinated this because I was uncertain what length, how the ends needed to be shaped, and how the geometry worked out for bolt holes. I finally commited to something and went with it. I actually even tested the adjustment and it is slick, but a pita cause I have to remove the weights and losen a couple bolts just enough, but it does work.

Attachments

• IMG_3248.JPG
    IMG_3248.JPG
    394.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3249.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3247.JPG
    IMG_3247.JPG
    379.1 KB · Views: 17
Looks like the cent link is adjustable. If so it may need to be lengthened to give the disc more angle so it will cut better. Set it up on level ground with your tractor up on blocks, much like you do on a plow set up. Then adjust the two links to get it to touch the ground even across. Mine is on a sleeve hitch so has a fair amount of movement. Yours should work out good.

Looks like the cent link is adjustable. If so it may need to be lengthened to give the disc more angle so it will cut better. Set it up on level ground with your tractor up on blocks, much like you do on a plow set up. Then adjust the two links to get it to touch the ground even across. Mine is on a sleeve hitch so has a fair amount of movement. Yours should work out good.
The center link on the disc only adjusts the cut angle and the current total angle is around 25 degrees right now (12.5 degrees per side). I would have matched a similar disc... except I dont have another one to compare lol. I know the steeper the angle the harder it will pull so I deceded against getting that aggressive starting out. Is there a prefered angle for the discs?

The right disc angle depends on the ground conditions and what your purpose is to achieve.
The smaller the angle the shallower it will cut and the easier it will pull. Just guessing off the top of my head Mine runs about a 30° angle.

Ya Alan, stowaway was found.

So this implement story now has an interesting twist to it. After using more of Alan's gasoline the carb on the Power king has fouled over (I knew better than to touch that gas can of his lol). With carb issues on the power king I knew I had to fix the problem... so I bough a Mitsubishi Beaver 3 and it has a category 1 hitch, and now all my implements are category 0, so I get to adapt them all now I guess lol.

Back