Broke 2 chains already

DadSleeper

Tractorologist
Ok so the end of last season I broke a chain on my snow blower. It was a new to me blower that was said to already have a new chain on it #40 Roller chain from tractor supply (county line chain). This season I started off with another brand new County line chain and only got 2 used out of it before it broke. When it did break I thought maybe I could put another master link on it but after inspecting the chain I noticed EVERY link is cracked right where the connect to each other. That was a bit odd to see I use to race motorcycles and have never seen that even with the abuse we give them. To keep it short in the box is enough for 2 chains so I made another one and again same results.

This next time around I got some better quality chain , nothing extreme just your typical #40 chain but this time U.S.A. made not china made. I did more with the blower yesterday then I have with the other two chains , a lot of the snow I was moving was in-crusted with ice because I had to let it sit while I was waiting for my order to come in.

After getting though the day I wanted to see what condition the chain was in, expecting to see some stress cracks because I am thinking something must be wrong, but nope its perfect , the chain didn't even stretch.

You get what you pay for so .....avoid County line chain its soft garbage sold at tractor supply.

Wouldn't you think TSC would have better quality stuff considering they're " Tractor Supply"...?
I've found that they are gearing more and more toward homeowners, less and less ag stuff, about all I get there anymore is ratchet straps(actually really like the smart straps brand), bulk hardware(bolts), oil and belts.

All my minibikes run 40/41 chain. I buy quality 420 ATV chain and put on them.

Both are 1/2" pitch but 420 chain seems to sit lower in the sprocket than 40 but I never had any issues. The big bike running a HM100 and a TAV can throw down some pretty decent torque, enough to loft the front end if you get on the throttle hard from a stop.

Where do the ag people go, other than dealers?
We have an independent store in our area that is very good in the ag department. They make tsc look like a city boy store.
For instance, I was considering getting rid of the rag joints on a tractor and replacing with u joints. Now there was very little room to work with and higher rpm to consider. The parts counter guy thought a moment, and disappeared back into his parts room. Came back with every thing needed to go from engine to driveshaft and driveshaft to hydro. All off the shelf.
Another time I needed a 1.5 rpm electric motor which I easily could have found online. But I decided to order through this store. Found it at Granger and ordered. 20 hours later, I got the call that it was ready to be picked up. Shipped in for less than I could buy myself.

I like the county line full chisle chain saw chains. Also like the bulk bolts, nuts and washers both flat and locking at TSC.
Not a bad place to by cattle salt blocks both plain white and mineral ones. They also carry T post and have good price on red brand woven wire fenceing.

How ever they cater to the horse croud here, and and others. I told Kare one day looking for a 28x12 V belt and they didn't have any and wanted 10.00 shipping to get me one. I can buy a stupid Kiack here but not a freaking belt.

Went to Auto Zone of all places to get the dayco belt off the peg for just over $6.00.

Have to drive 40 plus miles to a farm fleet store here.

Also not all TSC stores are created equal. Ones 50 miles north carrys way more tractor parts will order new and used tractor parts and not to much in th eway of horse crap unless you count fenceing supplies as horse crap.

:D Al

Its been one heck of a winter here , deep heavy snow and ice but this update is just to confirm that "county line" chain is cheap garbage. After replacing the Country line twice I got some CTT chain and its still perfect, barley even stretched, I only adjusted it once since installing it and have moved LOTS of snow.

20190120_113319.jpg

CTT Chain

Like Lance said, most chain problems of frequent breaking is in the adjustment and/or alignment. If you cracking the side of the link probably running it to tight.

Like Lance said, most chain problems of frequent breaking is in the adjustment and/or alignment. If you cracking the side of the link probably running it to tight.
I raced motorcycles for many years I know how to properly tighten a chain and better yet know what cheap chain is. When I bought the county line chain it comes in a 10 foot roll so I was able to make two,both broke in heavy snow. After putting one on from CTT (doing nothing different) its held up all winter.

There's definitely a difference between chain brands. The market is flooded with cheap Chinese made chains and you have to be careful to buy a good quality chain. Roller chain is pretty forgiving on alignment as is V-belts. The worse thing on roller chain is wore out sprockets, they will destroy a chain rather quickly. Don't over tighten a chain, it will stretch and fail over time.

Back