Burpee Seeds Arrived Today

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
And getting excited. We use to start our plants for years but got out of it for awhile. I know it's a lot of work but I think the plants are better. We got four kinds of tomatoes, green peppers, banana peppers, jalapeno, summer squash, zucchini, cucumber, carrots, beets, bush beans & sweet corn. I guess some of our friends & family won't have to buy any plants this year with all these seeds we got to plant.
15814732153956283039080059858481.jpg

No Snowshoe Rabbit seeds in the mix ? We used to order from the seed companies but the last several years we bought them at Menards. Name brand, good fresh seeds and at reduced prices. Plants we get from an Amish green house. If there is 6 plants together and we want on they separate it for us. Regular stores won't do that.

I used a coupon site called "Honey" and saved almost $20 off my Burpee order. Saved me $19.33 off my order. A bit over $10 off my actual order, and right at $9 off shipping! Would have been $67 but ended up $47 shipped.

HERE is how to use Honey for discounts.

Last edited:
We poured over the catalogs 2 weekends ago and made our orders. Should b getting some shipped soon I would think!! You are right about Christmas in FEB!!!

We still start all our plants indoors, we get a better variety to choose from and plants are usually much hardier. Made the initial investment for grow lights many years ago. I find it therapeutic.

LOL, how tall am I?

For Strawberries, I have always bought them, but once bought I revive plants by doing the runner trick, finding good suitable runners and digging a hole big enough for a peat pot in the ground right under the tiny root of the runner, stick the root into soil in the peat pot and use a piece of wire to hold it down as a loop. then, a month later, the runner is now rooted and growing, cut the runner from the parent and plant where you want it. It will be a clone to the parent.

My strawberries are Sparkle variety, in Canada here i cannot get them anymore so cloning them is my only option.

A few years ago we moved a bunch of strawberry plant into tractor tires filled with clay and6" of black dirt on top. Did good the first year, then to much rain hurt them bad. Next year was hot and dry and lost most of them. Painted the tires white and put new plants in, 50 of them. All started looking good then started dieing off down to 2 plants. Company replaced them after soil test by them said it was good. Last spring planted another 50. They didn't look good from the start & they all died so going with a different company this year.

We are going to try the king kong this year also. Can't do any worse then the last two years with ever bearing. I thought the black tires was getting the ground to hot so painted the tires white. Didn't help a bit. Our spring and early summer was late and wet last year also.

We got our seeds planted yesterday in some starter pots. Over the years we always used peat pots. This year we got two of these plastic trays from wally world that have 72 pots per tray with a water tub underneath & a clear plastic dome for the top for $5. each. These look like they will be easier to handle. We planted a lot of bell peppers, I hate buying them in the winter. Those did well last year so we still have plenty in the freezer. Six different varieties of tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, banana peppers, & marigolds. Most other things we start straight into the ground. I might get some cabbage seeds yet those are good to have a quick start on around here. It seems like our spring time gets shorter every year.
20200224_144432_resized_1.jpg

Back