Burpee Seeds Arrived Today

Never did start any garden crops from seed pots. We get our plants from the Amish and plant the other seeds direct in the ground. Starting seeds in gow tray , etc. is a lot of extra work and have to have grow lights or south windows to do it. Haven't ordered any seeds yet. Need to get the Strawberry plants ordered. Still have some spots of snow on the ground so gardening is a ways off yet.

If it wasn't for the heat and humidity I could go for that neck of the woods. We have shirt tail relatives living near London. Weather was real nice when we were down there. Was after Katrina and things were still kind of a mess.

Last edited:
Well I checked on the seedlings on Saturday 5 days from planting & several were just breaking the soil sprouting. I checked on them this afternoon just 3 days later & almost a whole tray of all the tomatoes are several inches above the pot. We had to go into emergency transplant mode. I went into town & no one had medium size pots either too small or too large. I just got two bags of styrofoam cups & we started transplanting. They get leggy when there not getting enough light. I've only had this happen one other time. I usually watch them close enough to add soil as they grow slow. Its a good thing we planted two seeds to a pot we may loose some of these. The other tray I'm worried about. There's only about three seeds sprouting out of nearly 144 seeds. This tray is all peppers. I'll watch these closely for a few days may have to replant these. In case your wondering when we start our own plants we keep what we want & give the rest away.
20200303_170847.jpg20200303_170857.jpg20200303_182348.jpg

Reading all this is not helping my "farmers fever" one little bit! To go back a bit to the strawberry topic, I have grown "Seascape", a day neutral variety, for several years. Large, sweet fruit that is red all the way through. It needs mulching in the fall to help it through my northern winters but should have no problem where winters are more moderate, or where there is good early snow cover to insulate the plants. It seems that for the last couple of years spring has been almost non-existent, it just jumps from winter to summer. Global warming?

I tried to order our Strawberry plants from Burgress last evening. Single item order, but their site kept going back to the signup for an account. Even when I entered the shipping info, it wanted me to open an account. Said screw it and went to Direct Gardening, ordered the plants and sailed right through the payment and it was a done deal. Burgress just lost a customer.

Back