Carburetor compatibility part 2

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

After some advice here and doing some research, I've learned I can use a Carter 16 carb on my HH120, but it requires modified linkages.

I guess I have a few questions about doing this.

How do I start with a homemade linkage as far as length?

What material do I use for a linkage?

Any special tools needed, like a Z bender?

Let's say I pick up a Carter 16 and start fresh, how do I go about doing this? I assume you set the new carb to factory settings if it didn't come that way. Perhaps get a measurement from a reference point on the block to the original linkage, bolt the new carb up and use your reference to judge the new linkage length. If everything pans out, I should be able to fine tune the carb from there using the adjustment screws and my tiny tach.

I'm sure it's not too difficult, but I'm one of those guys who likes to have somewhat of an idea before I rip into something I've never done before.

Thanks,
bobcat2

Getting the throttle and choke should be easy. Getting the governor linkages set and adjusted correctly will be tricky.
Wish I could offer some input on that...

Id think a 16 would be a bit too small for an HH120.... that would be same HP as a K301 which was an engine that used Carter carburetors.... I'd probably find a 26 carter....... which was most common on K301's. a Carter 16 would be more right for an 8hp or less.

Whose "they"? If it's only enough carb for an 8hp Kohler, I wouldn't expect it to be enough carb for anything bigger than an 8hp Briggs, Tecumseh, honduh, Clinton, whatever.
I'm guessing that 8hp carb on a 12hp engine will be awful lean, and give you a he11uva hesitation on Accel. Maybe it might be ok in a very small rpm range, steady constant load application but nothing more.

Whose "they"? If it's only enough carb for an 8hp Kohler, I wouldn't expect it to be enough carb for anything bigger than an 8hp Briggs, Tecumseh, honduh, Clinton, whatever.
I'm guessing that 8hp carb on a 12hp engine will be awful lean, and give you a he11uva hesitation on Accel. Maybe it might be ok in a very small rpm range, steady constant load application but nothing more.

The lower HP Kohler carbs work much better on the higher HP Tecumsehs. The 8 Kohler is perfect for a 10 or 12 Hp Tec the 12 hp Kohler is perfect for the 16 HP Tecs. For whatever reason the Kohler carbs are jetted richer this the smaller carbs work better for the Tecs. Gotta remember, the Tec motors are like small blocks compared to big blocks of the Kohler or Briggs of the same horsepower.
There are a lot of guys on the Sears suburbans groups that have done this and found out what works best.

Back