Case 446 Question

Propane1

Tractorologist
Does this tractor have a neutral position so it can be towed ? If not, is there a lever or valve to turn for towing. Tractor does not operate. Thanks for any information.

Noel

Just a little more than a few potatoes Gary. But not to bad. Cheap entertainment. And surprisingly it runs and drove on the trailer. I didn’t think it was working so it’s a better deal.
It’s the one next door I’ve been eyeing up for the last number of years. People are selling the house. So we asked about it.

Noel

Attachments

• D9D84291-CAB0-4CAB-AD52-7F62B41C5E26.jpeg
    D9D84291-CAB0-4CAB-AD52-7F62B41C5E26.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 16
  • BD743AF1-57EB-4ADB-9183-EB7C8E907F64.jpeg
    BD743AF1-57EB-4ADB-9183-EB7C8E907F64.jpeg
    289.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 736B9629-B6CA-4765-9C42-3FC73A3A1456.jpeg
    736B9629-B6CA-4765-9C42-3FC73A3A1456.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 15
Okay you got it loaded and home? looks good enough I see one put a different muffler on it and modified the hood but with a bit of work you can make that kook good, did you get a mower deck, they do a good job mowing and I see a snowblower hope you don't get a chance to use it for 3/4 months

We have been thinking about the muffler and bonnet Gary. No mower deck. Sadly it could be 2 months and we will have snow. So I may be askin you questions as I get in to this. If that’s ok. What was the one you have. And I didn’t think you liked it that well.

Noel

We have been thinking about the muffler and bonnet Gary. No mower deck. Sadly it could be 2 months and we will have snow. So I may be askin you questions as I get in to this. If that’s ok. What was the one you have. And I didn’t think you liked it that well.

Noel
No problem asking question Noel, I've had both a 444 (14hp) and the one I sold this summer was a 446, they are well built tractors the decks are good and mow nice and the snowcaster (blower) work good also the attachment are pretty easy to install and remove. I quess my only complaint is to me they are slow form mowing the motion control is not at all like a hydrostatic it either very slow or slow. Looks like its a 1982 model year when you get it up and driving you can check out if it has the optional hold valve it keeps the tractor from free wheeling when going down a grade
Garden Tractors

Where would I find that valve at Gary. Found that out today. Likes to roll. And no brakes. So I gotta fix the brakes. We put it to work today. Hehe. 1/2 cord of hardwood on trailer. Will see tomorrow if it will move it. Hehe.

Noel

Attachments

• 3AAB7822-D196-484B-8161-6956D5B51E3F.jpeg
    3AAB7822-D196-484B-8161-6956D5B51E3F.jpeg
    393.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 76CE1343-77B0-4634-99D9-881C748D4C57.jpeg
    76CE1343-77B0-4634-99D9-881C748D4C57.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 9
Where would I find that valve at Gary. Found that out today. Likes to roll. And no brakes. So I gotta fix the brakes. We put it to work today. Hehe. 1/2 cord of hardwood on trailer. Will see tomorrow if it will move it. Hehe.

Noel
As for finding a holding valve you can watch e bay also you could join the FB case group there are 2 for sure some of the members sell parts its not a simple job to install but it does work, the 444 I had had it but the 446 I just sold did not per the owners manual when starting down a grade move the motion control lever to the slow position, the brake should be easy to repair may just need adjusting did you get any manuals with the tractor? There are lots of manuals online here's an operators manual https://manuals.casecoltingersoll.com/OperatorManuals/Case 446 Operator's Manual No. 9-6422.pdf

Hi Noel there are some manuals here in the manuals section also more on GT talk, how did it work for you what are your thoughts

Seems to work good for something not running in the past few years. Touch the key and it starts. Revs up. Not sure if it’s charging yet. Have to test that. It moves, but we are not use to that yet. All our tractor are hydrostatics. Don’t like the rolling and hard to control speed a bit. Better thou in low range. I like the idea of 8 gpm hydrualic flow. I would like to hook it to a wood splitter that I used on the ferguson tractor. Just to see how it would work. Ferguson had the pressure, but not the flow. Only 2/3 gpm, I think.

Noel

Where is the holding valve located on the tractor, it might be there. If I’m lucky. Hehe.
Ya, didn’t get any manuals with it.

Thanks for your info Gary.

Noel

Last edited:
Hi Noel, the holding valve is part of the speed control valve right under the center tunnel looks just like an ordinary hydraulic control valve, yes it takes a little getting use to operating the motion control lever, I thing it will operate a wood splitter, they have a very good hydraulic system and Case liked hyd and powered their tiller and a brush hog type cutter with hyd. Here's a link to a holding valve listed on e bay they are not cheap

Back