China Clone Flo Jet Carb ?

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
Before I take a hammer to it. If you remember last year I got my Simplicity 3415H and it had an aftermarket carb. It worked great but I didn’t like the manual choke and my choke cable was too short to reach it as is. I got tired of forgetting to choke it before climbing on. I couldn’t leave well enough alone so I reversed the choke shaft putting the lever on the back side and connecting the choke cable. While doing this I had to also reverse the choke butterfly on the shaft. I never used it much until recently.

My question is would this alteration cause problems tuning the carb. I can get it to idle good , WOT good, idles down good. I can drive away but in less than five minutes it bogs down while going up a slight hill then immediately hunts while idling. I limp back to the shop and do the same thing over again but noticing the adjusting screws are in a different position as before. I took it apart three times, I know it’s clean, float bowl is parallel with the body, emulsion tube is seated hood and the weird but good thing is it never leaks like a lot of these do. The only thing I’m thinking is too reverse the choke back the way it was and see what happens.

I read when buying a China clone is to compare them to the original throttle lever position. If the cable hole area is sitting at 2:00 then it’s good and close to specs. If it’s sitting at 10:00 it’s junk, Mine is sitting on the hood side.

If reversing it back doesn’t help I might get a rebuild kit or find an original and rebuild it.

I can drive away but in less than five minutes it bogs down while going up a slight hill then immediately hunts while idling. I limp back to the shop and do the same thing over again but noticing the adjusting screws are in a different position as before.

If you put the adjusting screws back to where they were, does it then work Jim. ?

Noel

I recently bought 2-8' choke cables for about 22 bucks shipped. Good thing I bought two because I screwed up measuring and it ended up to short! It's still long enough to use on a different tractor at least! The second one to the rescue! I used part of one for a new throttle cable too.
DSCN4142.JPG

DAC

Yesterday I reversed the choke shaft and butterfly like it was originally. This morning I put it back on and it’s a shame I’m less than an inch short of the choke cable reaching the carb in this position. When I decide to paint this frame I’ll have to remove the dash box again so I’ll install a longer cable then. It took awhile to get it adjusted but it seemed to run better. Before, I could only drive for about three minutes then had to limp back to the shop and adjust again. This morning I drove about twenty minutes went up and down some hills and it ran well. I engaged the mower deck and the governor kicked in under a load as it should. So far I’m happy with it but another test to make sure is to see how it does a day or so later. I just can’t believe this made a difference but it did. Thanks again guys for your responses.
E6B931FF-ECC9-4D55-BAD2-766F4196AC15.jpeg

Back