"close to my machine" database?

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I just put a different engine on to a craftsman rototiller, and would like to see for the He11 of it if there is another tiller that is maybe a couple of digits off in model number, or something like that /that could have come with the engine that I just put in? It definitely seems like the machine was made to be built with more than 1 choice of engine since there are at least 3 sets of holes in the base already there for different engine mounting points.
Im not home right now to get the number off of mine, but I know my machine is a Roper/AYP built, I know the number starts with "917". I took off a Tecumseh H60 and bolted on a Tecumseh HM80. I had to use an alternate set of holes to get the belt to line up, because the new engine is wider than the original one. But since the holes were already there I'd guess they made the same tiller that came with the 8hp.
I'm wondering what all parts besides the belt of course, that would have been put on that are different for the 8hp vs the 6hp version.

I think that all I will need is a lil shorter belt since the set of holes I had to use, move the engine back about 3/4". But I don't want to buy several in a guessing game to arrive at the one I will need. At this point my guess is 1-1/2" shorter, (2x the 3/4" that the engine moved) if they make such a belt, I'm guessing I will have to choose between 1" shorter or 2" shorter, since many companies don't make belts in 1/2" increments. All pulleys from the original setup are still there, same diameter as always.

so no way to find out what "close" variants a company made, to a machine someone has in hand?
with companies like Deere, Ariens, older Cubs, WH, etc it was kinda easy.... like with Cubs, a 129 was just like a 149 except for that 2 hp difference.... a 128 was the same machine in "stick shift" vs the 129s hydro.... but with companies like Sears, roper, etc no way to match one machine, vs another "close but not quite" machine, of the same manufacturer? have wondered about such things for a long time, not just this machine in this instance.

As far a Sears/Craftsman machines, most all of the same style had interchangeable parts. Minor modifications changed the model #'s but there is no documentation as to what those changes were.

Dodge trucker; if I had to make an educated guess, the different hole patterns were for different horsepower engines.
Sheenist

Back