converting a briggs coil question

jabelman

Tractorologist
I am sure someone knows how to do this, maybe? on a pre 1964 briggs engine with the 3 leg coil, can these be converted. I have read many different ways some make sense some dont.
these are are aluminum block 5 3/4 hp. 143302 with the 2 magnet flywheel

Attachments

• 20200525_141601.jpg
    20200525_141601.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200525_141641.jpg
    20200525_141641.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 10
They cannot be done to the early engines like this one , have to use the original coil , I am trying to get some reproduced

What were you looking to convert to?
I've converted a couple of 320000 series cast iron Briggs engines to a 12v set up like a typical cast iron Kohler. Just used the stock Briggs points and condenser.would that be possible on your engine?

I finally found some clues on another forum some old posts from 10 years ago. so I was able to use a different common briggs 2 leg coil and a different flywheel, it's the best engine has ever ran! it's a simple and cheap fix no modification are necessary. everything bolted and lined right up. @Bolens 1000

This might be an option.

I have one of those, a 143302 from 1964 and an externally identical looking 170000 from 1966. The 64 engine had like yours, I just had to cut the primary wire to the points and splice in a new one because the insulation was brittle and grounding out before it got from the coil to where it ducks under the flywheel. On the 66 engine it has a 2 leg coil, that one needed some rtv on the plug wire real close to where it protrudes from the coil body. Looked like teeth marks.
They both took the same points and condenser, they look just like the magna matic points on my '72 8hp cast iron Briggs engine on my air compressor. looked the same, even though under the flywheel instead of outside of the eng/ like the cast iron engine is.
On that engine I found some new old stock ones on ebay for around $7 delivered. On the 64 engine I was able to file and adjust the points, on the 66 engine they were pitted beyond hope. I went to the small engine dealer 3 miles from my house and paid $40 for the same set of points and got a condenser for this one too..oem Briggs and made of chinesium. definitely highway robbery. I'd have been even more pizzed at paying that if the engine wound up to have been junk.

Back