Couple of electrical things

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
On a Briggs 12hp L head vertical shaft engine it has a plug hanging out behind the starter for the charging circuit I know that there are a couple of different types of charging systems on Briggs engines of that era (1988ish) I think they had different plug configuration for the different charging setups but am having a bout of CRS right now.how can I tell difference, would I need an external regulator if I were to hook it up to the battery charged?

Also as this is a brand new engine I'm thinking of putting in an hour meter. I have a new Hobbs one sitting here. What would that take to make work, or is there a certain kind that I'd need to get in order to work on an engine like this? It has a typical Briggs mag ignition

Last edited:
If it is a two prong plug, one wire should be Red, and have an in-line diode usually shrink wrapped right behind the plug.

Diodes are like check valves. They only let electricity flow in one direction in a circuit.

I just happen to have a 10HP Electric Start Brigs I could look at. The Stator has a Red and Black wire. The Red goes through a Diode to make the voltage + DC. The Black wire is not used on this, but it would normally power headlights.

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 3
Back